Aug 16, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
The Phillies have a reputation around baseball for being the team that collects old and injury-prone players. MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that the Phillies may be interested in bringing outfielder Grady Sizemore back for the 2015 season, which certainly won’t help dispel that reputation.
GM Ruben Amaro was asked if the oft-injured veteran could be part of a rebuilding effort:
“Yeah, very possible,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said recently. “He’s played well enough to certainly be in consideration for 2015 and beyond. But again that’s one of those questions we’ll continue to assess. What we do with our outfield will be one of those questions, and he could very well be a part of it.”
Sizemore started the season with the Red Sox but struggled after getting off to a hot start in April. When the team released him on June 18, he had a .216/.288/.324 slash line with two home runs, 15 RBI, and five stolen bases. The Phillies picked him up through free agency on June 24. Since then, Sizemore has hit well, slashing .305/.347/.432.
However, the Phillies don’t figure to be contenders for at least two seasons and the goal is to get younger and healthier. Sizemore, obviously, doesn’t fit either criteria. The Phillies already have a crowded outfield as is with Marlon Byrd in right field, Ben Revere in center, and the struggling Domonic Brown in left. It’s tough to see how Sizemore fits in with the team through the rest of this season, let alone in 2015.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 0
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 6
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 58
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 23
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)