Aug 16, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
The Phillies have a reputation around baseball for being the team that collects old and injury-prone players. MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that the Phillies may be interested in bringing outfielder Grady Sizemore back for the 2015 season, which certainly won’t help dispel that reputation.
GM Ruben Amaro was asked if the oft-injured veteran could be part of a rebuilding effort:
“Yeah, very possible,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said recently. “He’s played well enough to certainly be in consideration for 2015 and beyond. But again that’s one of those questions we’ll continue to assess. What we do with our outfield will be one of those questions, and he could very well be a part of it.”
Sizemore started the season with the Red Sox but struggled after getting off to a hot start in April. When the team released him on June 18, he had a .216/.288/.324 slash line with two home runs, 15 RBI, and five stolen bases. The Phillies picked him up through free agency on June 24. Since then, Sizemore has hit well, slashing .305/.347/.432.
However, the Phillies don’t figure to be contenders for at least two seasons and the goal is to get younger and healthier. Sizemore, obviously, doesn’t fit either criteria. The Phillies already have a crowded outfield as is with Marlon Byrd in right field, Ben Revere in center, and the struggling Domonic Brown in left. It’s tough to see how Sizemore fits in with the team through the rest of this season, let alone in 2015.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)