Aug 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Per the Reds’ Twitter, the club has promoted pitcher Dylan Axelrod from Triple-A Louisville. To create roster space, they moved Joey Votto to the 60-day disabled list and placed Homer Bailey on the 15-day disabled list.
The Votto move is strictly procedural. As MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes, he is still eligible to be activated from the disabled list on September 4. The 30-year-old first baseman has been sidelined since July 8 with a strained right quad. He had been in the midst of a tough season, slashing .255/.390/.409 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 272 plate appearances.
Bailey has a strained flexor tendon in his right elbow as well as a bulging disk in his neck. The right-hander says he’ll pitch again this season. He hits the DL with a 3.71 ERA and a 124/45 K/BB ratio in 145 2/3 innings this season.
Axelrod was purchased by the Reds from the White Sox on July 17. In five starts with Louisville, the 29-year-old posted a 3.06 ERA and a 24/5 K/BB ratio in 35 1/3 innings. He will oppose the Rockies tonight at Coors Field, opposing Jordan Lyles.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)