Aug 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Per the Reds’ Twitter, the club has promoted pitcher Dylan Axelrod from Triple-A Louisville. To create roster space, they moved Joey Votto to the 60-day disabled list and placed Homer Bailey on the 15-day disabled list.
The Votto move is strictly procedural. As MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes, he is still eligible to be activated from the disabled list on September 4. The 30-year-old first baseman has been sidelined since July 8 with a strained right quad. He had been in the midst of a tough season, slashing .255/.390/.409 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 272 plate appearances.
Bailey has a strained flexor tendon in his right elbow as well as a bulging disk in his neck. The right-hander says he’ll pitch again this season. He hits the DL with a 3.71 ERA and a 124/45 K/BB ratio in 145 2/3 innings this season.
Axelrod was purchased by the Reds from the White Sox on July 17. In five starts with Louisville, the 29-year-old posted a 3.06 ERA and a 24/5 K/BB ratio in 35 1/3 innings. He will oppose the Rockies tonight at Coors Field, opposing Jordan Lyles.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)