Aug 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Per the Reds’ Twitter, the club has promoted pitcher Dylan Axelrod from Triple-A Louisville. To create roster space, they moved Joey Votto to the 60-day disabled list and placed Homer Bailey on the 15-day disabled list.
The Votto move is strictly procedural. As MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes, he is still eligible to be activated from the disabled list on September 4. The 30-year-old first baseman has been sidelined since July 8 with a strained right quad. He had been in the midst of a tough season, slashing .255/.390/.409 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 272 plate appearances.
Bailey has a strained flexor tendon in his right elbow as well as a bulging disk in his neck. The right-hander says he’ll pitch again this season. He hits the DL with a 3.71 ERA and a 124/45 K/BB ratio in 145 2/3 innings this season.
Axelrod was purchased by the Reds from the White Sox on July 17. In five starts with Louisville, the 29-year-old posted a 3.06 ERA and a 24/5 K/BB ratio in 35 1/3 innings. He will oppose the Rockies tonight at Coors Field, opposing Jordan Lyles.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)