Aug 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Per the Reds’ Twitter, the club has promoted pitcher Dylan Axelrod from Triple-A Louisville. To create roster space, they moved Joey Votto to the 60-day disabled list and placed Homer Bailey on the 15-day disabled list.
The Votto move is strictly procedural. As MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon notes, he is still eligible to be activated from the disabled list on September 4. The 30-year-old first baseman has been sidelined since July 8 with a strained right quad. He had been in the midst of a tough season, slashing .255/.390/.409 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 272 plate appearances.
Bailey has a strained flexor tendon in his right elbow as well as a bulging disk in his neck. The right-hander says he’ll pitch again this season. He hits the DL with a 3.71 ERA and a 124/45 K/BB ratio in 145 2/3 innings this season.
Axelrod was purchased by the Reds from the White Sox on July 17. In five starts with Louisville, the 29-year-old posted a 3.06 ERA and a 24/5 K/BB ratio in 35 1/3 innings. He will oppose the Rockies tonight at Coors Field, opposing Jordan Lyles.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)