Aug 16, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The Rockies activated Michael Cuddyer earlier today in time for tonight’s game against the Reds at home. He is batting clean-up and playing first base. The club also called up pitcher Brooks Brown from Triple-A Colorado Springs. In related roster moves, pitcher Tommy Kahnle was placed on the 15-day DL, first baseman Ben Paulsen was optioned to Triple-A, and pitcher Brett Anderson was moved to the 60-day disabled list.
Cuddyer, 35, had been out since early June with a fractured left shoulder socket. After leading the league in batting average last season, Cuddyer was having another productive year leading up to the injury. He was slashing .317/.366/.500 with five home runs and 16 RBI over 131 plate appearances. The veteran is eligible for free agency after the season, so he’ll be using the remaining month and a half of the season to reestablish his value.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)