Aug 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Things are getting pretty interesting in the American League West.
Garrett Richards dominated while Kole Calhoun carried the load for the offense as the Angels beat the Rangers 5-4 last night at Globe Life Park in Arlington. Meanwhile, the Athletics lost to the Braves, so the Angels are now just one game back in the division.
Richards allowed two runs over 7 1/3 innings for his 13th victory of the season. He struck out seven batters and walked none. Calhoun had three hits on the night, the big blow of which was a long go-ahead three-run homer off Nick Martinez in the fifth inning. You can watch video of the blast here.
The Angels will play the Athletics for three in Oakland next week before meeting again for three in Anaheim one week later. The fun is just getting started.
Your Friday box scores:
Orioles 1, Indians 2 (11 innings)
Astros 5, Red Sox 3 (10 innings)
Phillies 5, Giants 3 (10 innings)
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)