Aug 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Things are getting pretty interesting in the American League West.
Garrett Richards dominated while Kole Calhoun carried the load for the offense as the Angels beat the Rangers 5-4 last night at Globe Life Park in Arlington. Meanwhile, the Athletics lost to the Braves, so the Angels are now just one game back in the division.
Richards allowed two runs over 7 1/3 innings for his 13th victory of the season. He struck out seven batters and walked none. Calhoun had three hits on the night, the big blow of which was a long go-ahead three-run homer off Nick Martinez in the fifth inning. You can watch video of the blast here.
The Angels will play the Athletics for three in Oakland next week before meeting again for three in Anaheim one week later. The fun is just getting started.
Your Friday box scores:
Orioles 1, Indians 2 (11 innings)
Astros 5, Red Sox 3 (10 innings)
Phillies 5, Giants 3 (10 innings)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (323)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)