Aug 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Things are getting pretty interesting in the American League West.
Garrett Richards dominated while Kole Calhoun carried the load for the offense as the Angels beat the Rangers 5-4 last night at Globe Life Park in Arlington. Meanwhile, the Athletics lost to the Braves, so the Angels are now just one game back in the division.
Richards allowed two runs over 7 1/3 innings for his 13th victory of the season. He struck out seven batters and walked none. Calhoun had three hits on the night, the big blow of which was a long go-ahead three-run homer off Nick Martinez in the fifth inning. You can watch video of the blast here.
The Angels will play the Athletics for three in Oakland next week before meeting again for three in Anaheim one week later. The fun is just getting started.
Your Friday box scores:
Orioles 1, Indians 2 (11 innings)
Astros 5, Red Sox 3 (10 innings)
Phillies 5, Giants 3 (10 innings)
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)