Aug 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Things are getting pretty interesting in the American League West.
Garrett Richards dominated while Kole Calhoun carried the load for the offense as the Angels beat the Rangers 5-4 last night at Globe Life Park in Arlington. Meanwhile, the Athletics lost to the Braves, so the Angels are now just one game back in the division.
Richards allowed two runs over 7 1/3 innings for his 13th victory of the season. He struck out seven batters and walked none. Calhoun had three hits on the night, the big blow of which was a long go-ahead three-run homer off Nick Martinez in the fifth inning. You can watch video of the blast here.
The Angels will play the Athletics for three in Oakland next week before meeting again for three in Anaheim one week later. The fun is just getting started.
Your Friday box scores:
Orioles 1, Indians 2 (11 innings)
Astros 5, Red Sox 3 (10 innings)
Phillies 5, Giants 3 (10 innings)
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)