Alex Rodriguez working out in preparation for the 2015 season

Aug 17, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Reuters Reuters

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, currently serving a season-long suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs and his role in the Biogenesis scandal, is already preparing for a return to baseball next season. George A. King III of the New York Post reports that the slugger has been working out at the University of Miami and at UCLA in Los Angeles.

King adds that Rodriguez has hit off a tee, taken ground balls, and lifted weights. He has not yet faced live pitching.

Rodriguez, who turned 39 years old on July 27, is still owed $61 million between 2015-17, not including “milestone” incentives for reaching 660, 714, 755, 762, and 763 career home runs. He currently has 654, six shy of tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time list.

In 181 plate appearances with the Yankees in the final two months of the 2013 season, Rodriguez compiled seven home runs and 19 RBI with a .244/.348/.423 slash line.

1. proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I did not realize that ******** was 39. ********* has millions of reasons to play the next three seasons. He also has some legal bills to pay.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:19 AM

You mean he has some legal bills to refuse to pay, don’t you?

2. nsstlfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

He still has an off chance of breaking the all time home run record. If he hadn’t been suspended for this year he would of had a great shot. Don’t like him so I wouldn’t of been to happy, but also really don’t like Barry Bonds.

• 4grammarpolice - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM

You wouldn’t have been happy.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

What? You say it’s “have” and not “of”? Well, that helps explain why the contraction for “would of” is “would’ve”.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Nothanks: add a paragraph on that to the next edition of Elements of Style!

Or is that add a paragraph on which to the next edition of Elements of Style?

• Gamera the Brave - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Never met a sentence I couldn’t end with a preposition.
        Oops – maybe just one…

3. broncostevenp - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Why won’t this guy just go away?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM

$$$$$$$$$

• renaado - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Guy’s got tons of big bucks already, probably just tryin to show he can still contribute to the team without any roids.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Partly disagree. He seems to be obsessed with money.

• tearlw - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Mostly disagree. He seems to be obsessed with home runs. And being vindicated. And muscly women. And centaurs.

• renaado - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I don’t know why… But, I think I’m goin for the centaurs as A-Rods pot of gold.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM

In a way, A-Roid reminds me of the de-mythologizing centaur in Pier Paolo Pasolini’s film Medea. He started out with a horse’s ass, but wound up as a horse’s ass.

• zzalapski - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I dunno, maybe he just likes playing baseball?

• renaado - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:06 PM

“Likes playing baseball”

Play like you always do without usin the substance which are prohibited, play like you always do as as a ballplayer who doesn’t cheat, always love the game you chose… Where hardships and obstacles are the most common… Always don’t pick the easy yet controversial option where one mistake can turn a person’s way on how they think about you.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Renaado: that would be great advice for night hunting at a singles bar, too. I must pass it along to my grandsons.

• 4cornersfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM

zz, you are probably right. Why else would the greatest shortstop since Honus Wagner agree to play 3B to be on a winning team with a chance for the WS? People forget that.

• mmeyer3387 - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM

I’m not going to touch that one, but I’m still amazed at the contract the Yanks gave him. I’ve never seen anything else in sports so strange or worst judgment by any sports organizations. THREE more years of drama. How much do we need to take?

4. j0esixpack - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

No denying it

This guy embodies the Yankees

5. spc7ray - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

He will play 2 more years and hit enough to get just over 700 Hrs-thats what he wants to do

• sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM

He won’t reach 700 HR’s in two seasons… it’s math…

From his age 33 season through his age 37 season, he hit 101 HR’s in 1,958 at bats.

Or 1 HR every 19.386 at bats.

He’ll need 891.76 at bats over two seasons to hit that many…

But, that ASSUMES he’ll still be able to hit HR’s that often. He’s older and missed a whole season.

I doubt he hits HR’s at that clip or rate when he comes back.

Then, he has to get 445.88 at bats each of those two seasons and his recent history says he won’t due to aging and injuries.

I say that because his last two full seasons, his age 35 and age 36 seasons he only hit an HR once every 24.588 at bats.

His age 37 season was only 44 games.

So, I don’t see him coming back at his age, with time off and hitting HR’s at a higher clip than he did from age 33 to age 37.

• bronxbomber213 - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM

How about he won’t hit 46 homers in two seasons or he won’t hit 23 in back to back
        seasons? nice easy math….lol

• sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM

bronx

because when a person says that, someone else goes..”no way man, he’s gonna get there and hit that many”

gotta show WHY he won’t.

just SAYING something isn’t good enough. need the WHY

can’t just tell your boss something, gotta let them know why, why it’s going to work, what it’s going to do, how much money it’s going to save.

nice easy math doesn’t cut it in reality

gotta BACK UP what you say with reason, evidence and facts…

otherwise don’t even bother saying what you did. you get laughed out of the conference room.

6. randygnyc - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Bronco- he’s got 61 million reasons to stay. You don’t accomplish what he has without having a tremendous ego. IMO, that would be enough for him to want to stick around to vindicate himself. As a Yankee fan I’d love nothing more than to close the book on this ugly chapter. Sadly, no one in the organization has asked for my input.

7. therealbigben - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

/gets popcorn ready

8. serbingood - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I am in the minority here, I feel that A-Rod was railroaded by the MLB and any form of due process left the station with a one way ticket. That said, good for him to be working out now and not starting in January. The big question I have is what happens to Chase Headley? The Yankees finally have a legit 3rd baseman that can hit the ball. He might not be a HR hitter, but a hit is a hit is a hit.

If Chase comes back, who’s on 3rd (not 1st for a change)? A younger Chase with quicker reflexes or A-Rod with power potential? Maybe A-Rod becomes the full time DH? Whatever Public Relations baggage he may bring with him next year, the team needs a power hitter. Maybe he still has some pop left.

Let’s give him the chance to make it or fail on his own merits. The Captain will be gone, we need a new distraction to follow in ’15.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Assuming no trades, you’d figure Arod would be at full time DH, Headley 3b, Prado 2b, Tex 1b. It’d leave Beltran for RF, with Ellsbury and Gardner for CF/LF respectively.

SS is up for grabs.

• johnnysoda - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I know a guy on the 2015 Yankees who’s played some shortstop before. He might have even won an MVP at that position.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I have a better chance of starting at SS than Arod does.

• stevem7 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

You are not in the minority, MLB and specifically new Commissioner Manfred did railroad him. MLB broke laws to “GET” Rodriguez and secure Selig a ‘legacy’. While AROD is far from innocent, the methods used and laws broken by MLB to get him should have resulted in Manfred and others serving prison time.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I think Bernie Madoff is serving that time on their behalf. The system can only afford to serve on super rich prisoner at a time.

9. booboo31 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Good for him, go get em

10. sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Arod has a huge ego and HE thinks numbers still mean something. He doesn’t get what most folks think of him.

To HIM, his all time totals still matter.

He has 2939 hits and obviously wants to get to 3,000 at a minimum. 100 hits in each of the next two seasons moves him up to #20 all time. He wants to be higher for sure.

He’s already 6th all time for most career RBI’s and he could easily move up to 4th.

He’s less than 10 HR’s from moving up to 4th all time on that list.

Same with many other categories like runs scored, doubles etc…

To HIM, it matters and means something and he is definitely going to come back to move up on the all time lists.

He is 9th currently for the most bases all time and should easily move up several places, to at least 7th all time.

Babe Ruth, in 22 seasons is 6th for most bases all time with 5793 and he’s only 313 bases ahead of Arod in his 20 seasons played so far.

So, while I think he’s a cheat and a fraud, Arod has an enormous ego and he’s justified it to himself.

He’ll come back to move up in so many different categories. He somehow thinks we all care though.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I stand corrected obviously.

ya’ll think Arod doesn’t have an ego or care about his place on all time lists…

11. johnnysoda - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Oh boy.

I really hope that he gets to 3,000 hits and 661 home runs at home. Then, he has at least a small chance of getting a semi-positive reaction. If he does those on the road, watch out: things are going to turn ugly.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

if the team or him want it to happen that way, they could sit him on the road and play him at home when he approaches the hit milestones.

bit tougher with the HR’s obviously…

I’m NOT saying they will or should, but it is an option…

• sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM

tough crowd.

i didn’t say they should, I just said it’s an option.

it IS an option even if they don’t take it.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I hope he gets 666 Home runs and retires. Just to prove he’s History’s Greatest Monster.

12. wranglerick - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Why doesnt he just go on Oprah and get it over with ?

13. sysi45 - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM

When will you people realize that he doesn’t care what you think. He will play, collect his money and set some records. He knows he will never get in the Hall, but he will be in the record books, even if they put an * next to his name. He doesn’t care. He will laugh all the way to the bank.

• wjarvis - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:22 AM

While I agree with the sentiment of this statement, I’m not sure what records he’s going to be setting unless he plays beyond his current contract. He’s certainly going to hit lots of milestones and in general be near the top of most offensive counting stats, but none that I think he’ll end up leading.

Here is how far back he is from records that he’s closest to setting:
      Runs – 376
      Total Bases – 1376
      HR – 108
      RBI – 328
      XBH – 274
      Strikeouts – 522
      Errors – 40

If he played in the field full time, then I have no doubt he’d set the error record, but he’ll almost certainly be DH for a lot of games. After that I can’t see him setting any of the other records in the next three years. If he ends up playing 5 years near full time then I think he could probably reach the record for RBI, HR but also strikeouts. His problem though will be even if he is good enough to be a slightly above average player, no team will want to deal with the headaches that come along with signing him. So even if he wants to keep playing to break records, I don’t see a team signing him.

14. Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:30 AM

I plan to buy two tickets to opening day 2015.

I plan to put them up for sale immediately.

I am starting the bidding now, beginning at $500 a seat.

I will close bidding on April 1.

The winner can send me his or her PayPal account address and I will forward an invoice.

Yeeeeeehahahahahahooooooohahahahahahahheeeeeeehoooohooohoooo…..

15. campcouch - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Good, I want to see him play. A-Rod is the true face of MLB. Greed, corruption, scandal, talent, winning and numbers…all rolled up into one package. There’s a guy who publicly besmirched an innocent man while lying about his use, there’s a guy who crafted a web site to throw off investigators, there’s a guy who got caught but because he’s putting up great numbers has been given a pass as well. Braun, Cabrera, Cruz, all forgiven because they didn’t put up a fuss about being caught, but what they did was probably more heinous than Rodriguez fighting the suspension. Fans don’t care as long as the guy produces for them. The HOF is a joke, it’s a privately run organization that’s supposed to cover baseball history, but you’d be led to believe that that MLB runs it, so the numbers he finishes with will stay in in MLB’s records even if he doesn’t go into the hall. That matters to him, MLB records, not the hall of fame. He’ll still draw, even if it’s people coming to boo, that’s still a paid seat. Sites will get clicks and broadcast media will get ratings. I hope he reaches a few of those milestones and is the reason why the Yankees make the post-season next year, just to watch him smile at the new commish.

16. jfk69 - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:00 AM

What a sanctimonious bunch. Anybody here ever fought a moving violation,parking ticket or went through due process. Be it civil or criminal. That includes divorces.
    Plain and simple.
    I am no fan of the narcissistic “arod”. However he has a contract and has paid dearly with his reputation and suspension for his misdeeds. Come next spring. If he can play. I will put him out there.
    I will honor the contract. If not. I will make it very simple. He can end his career on the bench. If he can’t play due medical reasons. We will sit down and discuss his release and retirement.
    End of story and drama.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:03 AM

I seriously doubt that anyone here who ever went through a divorce regarded it as “due” process.

Except maybe on the date each month when they were “due” to mail their alimony check.

17. jfk69 - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Oh yea.
    Arod must wear a Big Red Scarlet letter S prominently on his uniform.
    Nathaniel Hawthorne would be proud.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Credit for the Hawthorne reference. The problem is, we don’t know who his illegitimate children are.

18. tsnake - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I wonder if there’s any chance the Yankees buy him out. Would any other team take on that baggage?

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Yep.

• rajavier3105 - Sep 8, 2014 at 7:06 AM

No other team except the Yankees is willing to deal with this guy’s drama.
        Yankees have no choice in the matter, but to deal with his @ss for at least two more years.
        The perfect contract is a fail safe.

Ace-killer Giants do it again