Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos to be retained for 2015

Aug 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EST

blue jays logo

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun has the story:

Alex Anthopoulos, the much-maligned general manager of the Blue Jays, will return for his sixth season running the club, a bevy of major-league sources have confirmed.

Apparently, there is no temperature at all to remove Anthopoulos from his job — in fact, quite the opposite sentiment exists — with an appreciation internally for the manner in which he has conducted his business.

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is also expected to be brought back, no matter what happens over the final 38 games of 2014. Toronto has fallen 6 1/2 games back of the Orioles in the American League East and Anthopoulos was heavily-criticized for failing to upgrade the major league roster at the July 31 trade deadline. But Simmons writes Sunday that club ownership is “pleased that Anthopoulous has put the club’s future in good pitching hands with a potential rotation down the road that includes Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez, Drew Hutchison and minor-league stalwart Daniel Norris — all of whom are 23 years old or younger.”

1. missthemexpos - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Trading off youth for veterans that may or may not get the Jays into the post season would have been the wrong way to go. The future looks good and anything is still possible this year.

2. gargamelsmentor - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM

The rest of the AL East immensely approves this news.

• thatsnuckinfuts - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Aaron Sanchez, Dan Norris, Marcus Stroman, Jeff Hoffman > the AL East in 3 seasons

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Besides Hoffman, the other 2014 first round pick catcher Max Pentacost should reach the majors soon. 21 year old Norris and 21 year old outfielder Dalton Pompey have shown great improvement this season. Further down in the minors, keep a watch on 20 year old third baseman Mitch Ney, 18 year old shortstops, Franklin Barreto and Richard Urena plus19 year old first baseman Rowdy Tellez. Tellez intrigues me. He is a big power hitter and should have gone in the second round in 2013. He lasted to the 30th round because he was planning to go to college. Depending on the source, his height is listed as 6 five and 6 four. His weight has been listed at both 220 and 250. If he develops, he could become a monster.

• gargamelsmentor - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Thumbs down it all you want Toronto fans. Here are some stats regarding Toronto’s win total under his rule:

2010- 85 wins
      2011- 81 wins
      2012- 73 wins
      2013- 74 wins
      2014- Projected to be 84

Now, you Blue Jays fans who are happy about him returning, you enjoy those low expectations. The rest of the AL East fans applaud the move too. Heck we hope they extend him until 2026.

• thatsnuckinfuts - Aug 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Cool story bro, could be much worse, ask half the teams in the Majors. Jays have drafted and developed extremely well the past 5 seasons. Do you actually pay any attention to anything but the Win totals? Do you actually watch the games? You should try, because the stuff those young pitchers have is exceptional.

Why don’t you tell everyone who who do a better job? Who should they hire?

• gargamelsmentor - Aug 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Clearly I struck a nerve with you thasnuckinfuts….you’re missing my point, I’m ecstatic that they are bringing him back. I WANT them to keep him in the position. I tell you what, in 3 years, if/when the Blue Jays win the division, feel free to tell me “I told you so”. As for me, I’ll be looking forward to watching the Orioles hopefully clinch the division in person against the Blue Jays on approximately Sept.16th of THIS year.

• thatsnuckinfuts - Aug 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM

You didn’t strike a nerve, I’m just pointing out that if you think the Jays keeping a guy who has built a great rotation of young arms is a good thing for the AL East, then you’re an idiot. Especially since your a O’s fan who’s own GM has attempted to do the same thing.

• gargamelsmentor - Aug 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM

“Attempted”, my friend? Try accomplished. I’m just using your words….you said in 3 years they’ll be the best in the AL East. That may very well be true. However, if I’m a Jays fan, I’d kind of like to win now. Why not take some of that young talent and make a deal for this season. Heck, your own players came out and questioned it in the media. Clearly, you and I have different expectations for the teams we follow. I’ve gotta go, I have to write the check for my post season ticket invoice that came in the mail yesterday. Best to you and the Jays.

• jinx21fan - Aug 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Listen, I’m glad Oriole fans can finally do a little chirping. For so many years you guys were just the doormat of the AL East. Aside from following Ripken’s streak your club didn’t register with anyone. So now your enjoying a little sliver of success and you want to bang the drum. Hey, we get it.

3. tigersfandan - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

In other news, all 50 states are expected to remain as part of the union in 2015.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Can’t ever be too sure about Texas…

They tend to get a burr up their backsides a lot…

When the wind changes direction they talk about pulling out of the union…

4. buffalo65 - Aug 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I’m hoping to watch the jays eliminate the O’s on the last day of the season. Baltimore is due to crash. Playing over their heads.

5. canadiansportsfan77 - Aug 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Indifferent on the news. He’s a new GM with strong skills and he does make some rookie GM mistakes. Truthfully he’s not the problem, its an unsupportive ownership group more concerned with lining their pockets then supporting the baseball team.

I think AA realizes this now and is taking a different approach to building his team. Hopefully the prospects pan out and give the Jays a controllable and dominant rotation for years to come

6. craigmaitland - Aug 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Baseball takes a while to draft and develop a proper system especially if the cupboards are bare when you first arrive. He’s done a great job rebuilding the farm while the big club has stayed pretty competitive.

7. craigmaitland - Aug 17, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Gibbons single handedly losses them at least a dozen games a yr. AA needs to realize that and bring in someone else.

8. canadatude - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Orioles are one and done when/if they get in the playoffs. They just don’t have quality pitching. Jimenez for $50 million? Great move.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2789)
  2. W. Myers (2548)
  3. D. Ross (2214)
  4. C. McGehee (2135)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1989)
  1. J. Shields (1891)