Aug 17, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As first relayed by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have recalled right-hander Carlos Martinez from Triple-A Memphis, optioning lefty reliever Kevin Siegrist in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Martinez will pitch out of the bullpen initially, but he was being utilized as a starter at Memphis — and threw 10 1/3 scoreless innings in his two-week stay there — so the 22-year-old could also be an option for the St. Louis rotation down the stretch. Shelby Miller has struggled mightily in two straight outings and newcomer Justin Masterson has been blown up in two of his first three starts. Miller has already spent some time in the bullpen this season.
Siegrist was one of the most dominant relievers in baseball in 2013 — posting a 0.45 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings — but he has struggled with forearm issues in 2014 and hasn’t been nearly as effective.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 7
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)