Aug 17, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As first relayed by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have recalled right-hander Carlos Martinez from Triple-A Memphis, optioning lefty reliever Kevin Siegrist in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Martinez will pitch out of the bullpen initially, but he was being utilized as a starter at Memphis — and threw 10 1/3 scoreless innings in his two-week stay there — so the 22-year-old could also be an option for the St. Louis rotation down the stretch. Shelby Miller has struggled mightily in two straight outings and newcomer Justin Masterson has been blown up in two of his first three starts. Miller has already spent some time in the bullpen this season.
Siegrist was one of the most dominant relievers in baseball in 2013 — posting a 0.45 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings — but he has struggled with forearm issues in 2014 and hasn’t been nearly as effective.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)