Aug 17, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As first relayed by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have recalled right-hander Carlos Martinez from Triple-A Memphis, optioning lefty reliever Kevin Siegrist in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Martinez will pitch out of the bullpen initially, but he was being utilized as a starter at Memphis — and threw 10 1/3 scoreless innings in his two-week stay there — so the 22-year-old could also be an option for the St. Louis rotation down the stretch. Shelby Miller has struggled mightily in two straight outings and newcomer Justin Masterson has been blown up in two of his first three starts. Miller has already spent some time in the bullpen this season.
Siegrist was one of the most dominant relievers in baseball in 2013 — posting a 0.45 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings — but he has struggled with forearm issues in 2014 and hasn’t been nearly as effective.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (133)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (132)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)