Joe Maddon not thrilled with cheers for Derek Jeter at Tropicana Field

Aug 17, 2014, 10:20 PM EST

Joe Maddon Joe Maddon

Derek Jeter‘s 2014 season has been one giant farewell tour.¬†Jeter, a 20-year veteran and a slam-dunk Hall of Famer, has been greeted with gifts and standing ovations as a visiting player at nearly every ballpark in which he’s played this season. That includes Tropicana Field, home of the division rival Rays.

The Rays lost 3-2 to the Yankees on Saturday night, thanks to Derek Jeter’s ninth-inning, tie-breaking RBI single. Rays manager Joe Maddon wasn’t thrilled at the amount of applause that Jeter received on his team’s home turf. Via MLB.com’s Bill Chastain and David Adler:

“It’s great, it’s great that it’s sold out, I understand that people like Derek Jeter — but you’ve got to come out and root for the Rays, too, you understand?” the Rays manager said after the game. “I mean, I totally appreciate what’s going on, but I’m not gonna sit here and defend all of that noise in the Yankees’ favor in our ballpark. I’m not gonna defend that. So if you’re gonna come out, root for the Rays. We’d appreciate that.”

Jeter¬†added that the contest felt “almost like a home game”. Yankees manager Joe Girardi said, “I’m not so sure I’ve heard his name chanted that loud at an opposing stadium this year.”

The Yankees secured a series win with a 4-2 victory over the Rays on Sunday afternoon. The 63-59 Yankees sit seven games behind the first-place Orioles, while the 61-63 Rays are 10 games out of first place.

1. randygnyc - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Hey Joe M, you know that marginal player you always seem to sign during the offseason? Well, next year you’ll be thrilled because Jeter sold out these games. He’ll be paying his salary.

• tmarlin1221 - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM

What he meant to say was thank you fans for paying my salary to sit around and watch a game kids should be playing.

2. Steven Keys - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM

We can all appreciate what Joe’s speaking to (loyalty) but his effort to put cap on celebrity worship, is, in this case (Jeter), like shoveling water against the tide: rather hopeless. The Rays poor play of late makes his point less effective but regardless, Tampa MLB is miles away from Boston, St.Louis, Chicago and San Fran.

3. stevem7 - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Gee Joe, if it offends you so much why not ask your boss for time off when the Yankees are in town? After all, if it weren’t for the Yankees you wouldn’t have a job as there would be no Rays, if it weren’t for the Yankees you wouldn’t have a sold out stadium, and if it weren’t for the Yankees you’d either be working in the minor leagues or Walmart. Always amazing how they love to bite the hand that feeds them.

4. embinoratsicus - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Once again, there can be no rooting for your own team if Jeter happens to be there, because he should supersede your own loyalties.

That is crap.

Everyone should be able to root for their own team and against other teams, and the players on those teams. Even Yankee fans and sportswriters should understand that. I am not going to root for Jeter, never have, never will. He plays for a team I do not support, against the team I do support. Simple equation. If the people who are lionizing him had any real concept of respect, they should realize that unless it is freely given, it means nothing. Plus, it is distasteful to see the owners of the teams caving into the pressure.

• pete2112 - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I don’t understand what you’re saying at all. I’m not sure if you know this or not but the fans weren’t forced to applaud for him and cheer him on. Secondly, the reason the Rays have such poor attendance is that Tamps is never going to be a baseball city and the fans that do show up to Rays games when the Yankees are in town are probably retirees from New York, so of course you’re going to have a lot New York fans in the stadium. I think your logic is a bit flawed on this.

• embinoratsicus - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Let me be clearer, then. People are saying that if you are not rooting or cheering for Jeter when he comes to your town, and you are rooting for your own hometown team, that there is something disrespectful to the game happening. I am not a Yankee fan. I am an A’s fan, and grew up and still am also a Padres fan. I don’t like the Yankees, and I don’t like how they do business. I like the teams that I am a fan of. So therefore, like Joe Maddon, and Tommy Lasorda, and many other people who are similarly not Yankee fans, I am going to root for my team and my players instead.

How is that not clear? I feel no compunction to root for Derek Jeter, because he does not play for my team, and I think it is ridiculous that people think that there is a requirement to root for the guy, and to ignore his shortcomings, and to make it seem like the game of baseball will collapse after he is gone.

It is not sour grapes, it is just that I have an allegiance to another team. People who are Yankees fans, or who are interested in supporting a guy on another team if they are not, can go ahead and venerate the guy, but many people are just saying to themselves I hope this end soon, because it is unprecedented and excessive.

That is what I am saying.

5. shockgee - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Joe needs to have some cheese to go with that whine he’s always drinking… or spewing I should say. What a cry-baby season this pompous bastard is having. He should stick to costume design instead of big league managing.

6. 1wdmnt - Oct 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I thought that Joe Maddon was a “class act.” Guess not…………………………………

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5475)