Aug 17, 2014, 8:53 AM EST
Suddenly the American League West is all tied up.
Albert Pujols and Howie Kendrick both went yard and Matt Shoemaker pitched well over 5 2/3 innings as the Angels topped the Rangers 5-4 on Saturday night in Arlington, Texas. The A’s, meanwhile, got a third straight poor start from Sonny Gray and lost 4-3 to the Braves at Atlanta’s Turner Field.
It was the fourth straight loss for Oakland and for Anaheim it was the fourth straight win. The Halos, who weren’t nearly as aggressive as the A’s ahead of the July 31 trade deadline, now have a share of first place in the American League West for the first time since Opening Day 2013.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 107
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (107)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)