Video: Wilson Ramos smacks walkoff ground-rule double

Aug 17, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT

Watch as Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos beats the Pirates on Saturday with this walkoff double …

That was the fifth straight win for the Nats, who now have a six-game lead over the Braves in the National League East standings. It was the fourth straight loss for the Bucs, who are suddenly 4 1/2 games back¬†of the Brewers for the top spot in the National League Central. Sunday’s series finale is at 4 p.m. ET.

1. natstowngreg - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Down 3 with 6 outs to go, coming all the way back against a good bullpen. F.P. Santangelo had it right. It was a moment from 2012, when a comeback like this wasn’t all that unusual.

2. beearl - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Walk-off automatic double, actually.

• derklempner - Aug 19, 2014 at 5:40 AM

Yeah, I wonder when baseball “writers” will stop calling an automatic double a “ground-rule double”.

3. penguins87and71 - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

The Pirates got the Nationals at the wrong time, they’re red hot and the Pirates right now are pretty banged up. I don’t have much hope against Doug Fister. Hopefully the Pirates can get back home on Monday against the Braves and turn it around. McCutchen is due back Tuesday, and Cole is back Wedensday. Lord knows the Pirates need them. It’s a shame the Pirates and Nationals couldn’t play when both teams are healthy. The Nats weren’t healthy when they came to Pittsburgh, and now the Bucs aren’t healthy in Washinghton. I was at that the game last night, and even as a Pirates fan it was the most fun I had at a game this season, the atmosphere was amazing.

• NatsLady - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I vote for the Pirates turning it around on Monday. Yes, I do.

• lphboston - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Seconded

• lphboston - Aug 17, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Here are Nats who have been sidelined for significant amounts of time:

Harper
      Werth
      Zimmerman
      Ramos

4. penguins87and71 - Aug 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Hopefully if the Pirates can make the Playoffs they can play the Nationals. It would be fun to see a series when both teams are healthy.

5. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM

5:05 EDT, actually. I don’t know how they came up with that starting time. At least the Metro should still be open…

It was exciting, man, short of a a playoff game, it was VERY exciting. I’m screaming from the third deck at Bryce, who THOUGHT he walked but didn’t. “KEEP COOL, Bryce, DON’T GET EJECTED!!!!!!” Then he walked for real on the next pitch.

Then I’m screaming, “WILSON, NO DOUBLE PLAY, NO DOUBLE PLAY!!” (Ramos is a combination of a hardball hitter and a slow, slow runner. And he’s been injured, so they he’s been discouraged from putting on any burners he may possess).

Then Bryce got to second base and what a big base that was.

In the 8th, down 3-0, the boys got to Watson, who is a left-handed version of Tyler Clippard. It’s been like a century since he gave up a homer to a lefty, but the Adam Bomber is HOT!

Even Jayson Werth’s replacement got a lead-off walk. Poor kid has struck out ten times in two days. Jayson Werth is expected back today. They were giving away his “Wolf-A-Rine” at the P-Nats game. No word if he got one, but I saw it’s $50 on Ebay.

6. penguins87and71 - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I feel like the Nationals are flying under the radar. Everyone is talking about the Dodgers, Angels, Athletics, and Tigers, but no is talking about the Nationals. From what I saw last night the Nationals are a heck of a team, and force to be reckoned with. It wouldn’t really surprise me if the Nationals went to the World Series. In fact they’re my favorites to win it all. Also the Nationals have a pretty good fanbase, for being a relatively new team they have a great fanbase.

7. 18thstreet - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Glad to see Harper drawing a walk. It’s never been a strength of his. If he can learn to control the strikezone, we’ll really be looking at a special player. Love that guy.

8. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Coming soon on MASN: Meredith Salenger stars in The Journey of Natty Tude.

9. ziplock10 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Soriano has the stats, but he’s been throwing batting practice for a few weeks now. He’s topping 92/93 mph? And they are all elevated..

Cannot beat the elite with this guy walking and giving up 2 hits in the ninth every save attempt.

This crap will not work in the playoffs…

Keep your shirt tucked in and learn how to lower you pitches WITH location…

10. recoveringcubsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Ooh, then I’ll go there and reread what I just read on this site! What a service!

11. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

As I understand it, reblog comments are posted automatically. If so, no need for snark.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2952)