2014 August 18
Aug 18, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
Nick Markakis had himself a mighty fine evening.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Nationals have won seven straight, including three in a row in walk-off fashion.
Aug 18, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Felix Hernandez suffered a hip bruise against the Tigers on Saturday, but the Mariners’ ace says he’s “good” to go for his next start.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Doug Fister was a perfectly useful pitcher for Detroit, but he didn’t show up on the radar gun. Now, Fister is leading the National not the playoffs while the Tigers are fighting to stay alive.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:49 PM EDT
Considered the top prospect in the game, Byron Buxton has only appeared in 31 games this season.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Pirates minor league right-hander Michael Clemens has been suspended 68 games for “possession and use” of human growth hormone.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
28 teams reportedly attended a showcase for Cuban free agent Rusney Castillo late last month.
Aug 18, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
After 584 games in the majors, Pedro Alvarez is going to try something new.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What’s wrong with the Angels’ left fielder?
Aug 18, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
And after one inning, it’s Angelos 1, Lerners 0.
Aug 18, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Herrera hit .233 with a .596 OPS in 42 games for the Red Sox until being demoted to the minors last month and then hit .309 with a .732 OPS in 15 games at Triple-A.
Aug 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
In his absence Pittsburgh has shifted Starling Marte from left field to center field and used Travis Snider as the primary left fielder. And the Pirates have gone 5-8 without McCutchen in the lineup, including five consecutive losses.
Aug 18, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Why is this man smiling?
Aug 18, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
He hit just .272 with seven homers and one stolen base in 86 games before the injury, posting a .701 OPS that’s his lowest in nine seasons with the Reds.
Aug 18, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Shuffling young prospects is the order of the day.
Aug 18, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Time is a flat circle changeup.
Aug 18, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Jenna and I with out latest installment of “Hey, that team that used to be crappy isn’t crappy anymore” theater.
Aug 18, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Joey Gallo smacked his 40th homer of the season Sunday at Double-A, which means the Rangers prospect is now tied with Cubs prospect Kris Bryant for the minor-league lead.
Aug 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The Nats get some depth as they gear up for the playoffs.
Aug 18, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Pena played pretty well at Triple-A, batting .297 with four homers and an .850 OPS in 20 games.
Aug 18, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
They don’t make managers like this anymore. That’s probably a good thing.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Detroit wasted no time in calling up Jim Johnson, adding him to the bullpen after just 4.2 innings in the minors following his release by Oakland.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Rob Manfred has a problem to tackle. Thankfully, he already has the rules at his disposal to tackle it. Let’s see if he does.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Holliday is having the worst season of his career at age 34, posting career-lows in batting average (.260), slugging percentage (.407), and OPS (.769) while hitting just 12 homers in 119 games.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
And quit thinking you’re all that. Even though we say you’re all that and hang on every little thing that you do.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)