Aug 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon was scheduled to start this afternoon for the Mets, but manager Terry Collins announced that he’s left the team and traveled home to the Dominican Republic to be with his “extremely ill” mother.
Carlos Torres will step in for Colon and make the spot start against the Cubs.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Colon will be placed on the bereavement leave list and replaced on the roster Tuesday, when the Mets have enough time to call up another player.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)