Aug 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Bartolo Colon was scheduled to start this afternoon for the Mets, but manager Terry Collins announced that he’s left the team and traveled home to the Dominican Republic to be with his “extremely ill” mother.
Carlos Torres will step in for Colon and make the spot start against the Cubs.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Colon will be placed on the bereavement leave list and replaced on the roster Tuesday, when the Mets have enough time to call up another player.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)