Aug 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon was scheduled to start this afternoon for the Mets, but manager Terry Collins announced that he’s left the team and traveled home to the Dominican Republic to be with his “extremely ill” mother.
Carlos Torres will step in for Colon and make the spot start against the Cubs.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Colon will be placed on the bereavement leave list and replaced on the roster Tuesday, when the Mets have enough time to call up another player.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)