Aug 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon was scheduled to start this afternoon for the Mets, but manager Terry Collins announced that he’s left the team and traveled home to the Dominican Republic to be with his “extremely ill” mother.
Carlos Torres will step in for Colon and make the spot start against the Cubs.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Colon will be placed on the bereavement leave list and replaced on the roster Tuesday, when the Mets have enough time to call up another player.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)