Aug 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon was scheduled to start this afternoon for the Mets, but manager Terry Collins announced that he’s left the team and traveled home to the Dominican Republic to be with his “extremely ill” mother.
Carlos Torres will step in for Colon and make the spot start against the Cubs.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Colon will be placed on the bereavement leave list and replaced on the roster Tuesday, when the Mets have enough time to call up another player.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)