Freddie Freeman mad that GN’R’s “Welcome to the Jungle” didn’t play on throwback night

Aug 18, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT

freddie freeman getty Getty Images

On Saturday the Braves did a throwback night to 1914. As part of it they nixed all of the loud music from over the P.A. including walkup music for the hitters and run-in music for closer Craig Kimbrel, relying on organ music instead. Kimbrel’s usual jam is “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses.

Not hearing that when Kimbrel came in to protect a one-run lead in the ninth really bothered Braves’ first baseman Freddie Freeman. From the AJC:

“My issue is when, I don’t mind using the uniform, I love the throw-back uniform, but when the atmosphere is taken out of the game,” Freeman said. “Fans are coming here to have an experience and there is nothing on the Jumbotron, no music is playing. I’m looking in the stands and people’s heads are down. It kind of takes the energy out of the stadium, especially when the best closer in the game comes in and there are not flames (on the scoreboard), nothing like that.”

I’m with you, Freddie. I mean, without flames on the Jumbotron and some GN’R blaring, it’s really not even baseball. And really, doesn’t anyone remember 1914 Braves hitter Possum Whitted coming up to this jock jam of the day?

Dudes: between the Braves announcers complaining about Bryce Harper all the time and Freeman finding reason to whine about this sort of thing on a night they beat the best team in baseball, it’s a real drag to root for the Braves these days.

1. josemartez - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I love electronic flames, too.

2. johnnysoda - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM

3. philliesblow - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:38 AM

How on earth did Ruth, Cobb & Wagner manage to play so well without all the modern special effects?

• sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Booze, hot dogs, cigarettes and women…

• ltzep75 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Performance decreasing drugs…but it’s cool, everyone was on the same regimen, so it evened out.

• tearlw - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:31 PM

cigars, these are men you’re talking about…

• sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM

women prefer “cigars” too

4. voteforno6 - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

The Nats had a throwback against the Giants a couple of years ago, to commemorate the 1924 World Series. I thought it was kind of fun to have the organist play all the walkup music. I thought the energy level in the stadium was just fine.

• philipharmonic - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I was at that nats game and absolutely loved it! Having an organist reminds me of my days as a kid going to games at veterans stadium in philly. Plus, I absolutely detest walk up music, and so welcomed its absence.

5. atlsp - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

The clever and talented braves organist actually did play Welcome to the Jungle on the organ. Although it may not have been quite as stirring as the original (especially with no flames!?) I thought it was cool and fit the throwback theme for the night.

Also worth noting that the game was close all night and the crowd of 40K+ sounded into it until the final out. This is probably a good time to remind ourselves that Freddie Freeman, while mature for his age as a hitter, is still only 24yo.

• baberuthslegs - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM

That was my exact thought when I read this. Lack of maturity.

• mobetta42 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Yes – this exactly. I was at the game and the organist absolutely played ‘Welcome to the Jungle’. I thought it was pretty funny how they handled it. I attend a lot of Braves games, and I thought it was a particularly large and enthusiastic crowd on Saturday night. I have no idea why people keep talking about the lack of energy. One of my friends commented to me that the actual baseball awareness seemed better than usual too, with people standing for big outs, etc.

Bottom line: I feel kind of sorry for the people who couldn’t manage to be entertained by the struggling hometown team managing to clinch the series against the best team in baseball.

6. stlouis1baseball - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Wow. Thanks a lot C.C. I got through an entire 43 seconds of that noise.
    Instantly made my anxiety go up and I started yelling at one of my guys.
    But I must offer full disclosure:
    Ole’ Strugglebutt could wreck a one care parade. So he had it coming for all the screw ups last week.
    But I am still going to buy his lunch. Monday’s are a bitch. Having a boss that bitches at you just makes it worse.

• bolweevils2 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM

You’re a more patient person than I. I gave up after 16 seconds.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM

That is pretty standard ragtime song. Check out Scott Joplin, he was one of the most prominent ragtime composers. Maple Leaf Rag is a good song, there are some actual recordings of him playing it on the internet

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I hear you 88. I just can’t really stomach it. Tough to listen to.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, I can see why many people don’t like it. The entire premise of the style is that it is off-beat with an irregular rhythm, which can be tough to listen to.

• granadafan - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Ragtime is fun music. The old fogies of the day called ragtime and the associated dancing scandalous. Remember, they were still stuck in Victorian and Edwardian days when showing women’s ankle was enough to get blood rising in young men. In ragtime, the skirts showed a LOT of leg and the tops lowered to show *gasp* cleavage. Ragtime is very danceable music and required actual musicians rather than some guy on a synthesizer.

7. stlouis1baseball - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM

care = car.

Yeah…Monday’s.

8. stex52 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I was in Wrigley Field about a month ago. No Jumbotron! No Kiss Cams! No sausage races! We just had to watch baseball.

I thought it was terrific.

They I found out they are going to spend 550 MM$ to “upgrade” the stadium. Glad I got there when I did.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:50 AM

It’s not like they’re going to upgrade it overnight. I’m sure it will still look the same in September.

• stex52 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Actually, they will probably be negotiating the terms for buying out all of those adjacent rooftop bleachers for another year or so. Then they start the reno.

But I don’t get to Chicago that much. It will probably be done before I get back.

9. Paper Lions - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM

What an odd comment. To me, baseball is the atmosphere. Who in the world thinks that electronic distractions and lame walk up music adds to the joy of going to baseball games? The drama of the game is why fans go to the park….not all of the rest of the silliness teams do in vain to “enhance” the experience.

More isn’t better. Better is better….and for a ballpark experience, in general, less is better.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Paper,

I’m with you…

Sadly, so much has changed… kids growing up today with all the electronic gadgets, texting, tweeting etc…

They HAVE to be entertained at ALL times…

I agree with you that the drama of the game should suffice, it does for me…

It doesn’t for the youth of the country anymore though… sadly.

Some folks go to games and don’t even sit in their seats anymore, they go off to the places in these new stadiums for the kids to play, walk around etc…

10. Uncle Charlie - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

“Fans are coming here to have an experience and there is nothing on the Jumbotron, no music is playing.”

This is why Atlanta sucks. Hardly anyone goes to the game in the first place and the ones that are there are brain-dead hillbilly tourists waiting for the tomahawk chop. Hands down worst baseball city that I’ve been to.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Young Mr. Freeman was subtly critiquing the fan energy level. Well played.

11. unclemosesgreen - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I just think they passed on a golden opportunity for a awesomeness. After a whole game’s worth of old-timey baseball with only organ music and no jumbotron histrionics, imagine how pumped everyone would have gotten if G’N’R started blaring and the flames went off? I’m getting amped just imagining it in my head. Hold on ….. yeah, that was awesome.

12. druhlman - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

What exactly do you consider to be a kid today age wise? Because I am in my mid twenties and I have no problem with baseball without the fillers but you should want those fringe fans out to your stadium if you want to continue to put a team on the field…fans need to fill seats.

13. pr0phet4 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM

What energy? Weren’t there like 200 fans in attendance like normal Braves home games?

14. chiadam - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I enjoy when Barves fan and notorious whiner Craig Calcaterra whines about the Barves constant whining.

15. realgone2 - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Craig is the biggest prick on the internet. Do you root for the Braves just to complain about them? You are beyond obnoxious.

• tearlw - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:38 PM

“Beyond obnoxious?” How dare you call Craig a Phillies fan!?

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3524)