Aug 18, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Jonathan Herrera likely would have been called back up to Boston in September to serve as a bench player for the Red Sox, but instead the utility infielder will miss the remainder of the season following surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow.
Herrera hit .233 with a .596 OPS in 42 games for the Red Sox until being demoted to the minors last month and then hit .309 with a .732 OPS in 15 games at Triple-A.
If he stays on the 40-man roster Herrera will likely compete for a bench gig next spring at age 30.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)