Aug 18, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Jonathan Herrera likely would have been called back up to Boston in September to serve as a bench player for the Red Sox, but instead the utility infielder will miss the remainder of the season following surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow.
Herrera hit .233 with a .596 OPS in 42 games for the Red Sox until being demoted to the minors last month and then hit .309 with a .732 OPS in 15 games at Triple-A.
If he stays on the 40-man roster Herrera will likely compete for a bench gig next spring at age 30.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)