Aug 18, 2014, 12:20 AM EST
As if things couldn’t get any better for the Rockies after their walk-off win in the first game of Sunday’s double-header against the Reds, 1B/OF Michael Cuddyer hit for the cycle in game two. The 35-year-old veteran tripled and was stranded in the first inning, hit a solo home run in the sixth, and singled and was stranded in the seventh.
In the eighth, needing a double for the cycle, Cuddyer ripped a Manny Parra offering down the left field line, scoring two runs on a double. Cuddyer would later score the Rockies’ 10th run of the evening.
Cuddyer is the first player to hit for the cycle this season. The last player to do it was Alex Rios on September 23 last season. The last Rockie to accomplish the feat was Carlos Gonzalez on July 31, 2010. Interestingly enough, this isn’t the first time Cuddyer has hit for the cycle. He did it previously on May 22, 2009 as a member of the Twins.
Cuddyer was activated from the 60-day disabled list on Saturday after healing up from a broken left shoulder socket. With Sunday’s performance, he now has six home runs, 19 RBI, and a .331/.376/.546 slash line.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)