Mike Lupica to Matt Harvey: Grow up!

Aug 18, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Matt Harvey AP AP

Mike Lupica tells Matt Harvey he needs to grow up. It’s pretty close to incoherent, even by Lupica’s standards — I’d bet my children this was dictated from the car as he rode to the ESPN studios or wherever he was over the weekend — but here’s the paraphrased version:

Matt Harvey thinks he’s so big and, yes, actually, he IS so big. But he doesn’t need to constantly remind us of all of the things he’s doing in his rehab even though people who cover the Mets report on every single little thing about what he’s doing in his rehab and eve though Mets fans really want to know what’s going on with his rehab too.

And he needs to cut out this enthusiasm he has to get back on the field, because that’s just bad. I mean, not as bad as when Mets players show something less than enthusiasm to to get on the field — we kill guys for that! — but still pretty bad. And this coming back from injury early thing is nearly as bad as lingering on the DL longer than we M.D.s in the media think is appropriate.

Gosh, I am so lost and lonely and only care about baseball insofar as it allows me to lecture young punk kids to not be young punk kids.

If you get anything else out of that column, let me know, because that’s how it read to me. I will quote one bit of actual Lupica, though:

One of these days, Matt Harvey needs to remember — and that probably means before he hurts his arm again — that his job is to be a star young baseball pitcher, not some sort of needy celebrity who acts as if he gets the bends when he is out of the spotlight for very long.

Physician, heal thyself.

My take on Harvey: it’s better to listen to your manager and your GM, dude, and you should be a bit more aware of the media environment in which you play. But beyond that, you’re cool. Get your arm ready and pitch when we tell you to and it’ll all be fine.

I feel like one can take that position and not have baseball be ruined, but I suppose only time will tell.

1. chill1184 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

NY media being NY media

• nickdesposito - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM

While the NY media does suck, Mike Lupica is in a class by himself. He is the absolute worst.

• mmeyer3387 - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I agree with you Nick. I can see where some would think that Harvey needs to be patient and to mature a little. Conversely, I strongly believe that Lupica needs to mature more than the young pitcher that just wants to get back in the game and help his team. Lipica is always ready to tear into a person and tell us about a person’s moral defects. Lupica is just simply an arrogant and hypocritical journalist, who’s a professional in the art of Character Assassination. Clearly, Harvey is easy to understand, but Lupica may be a lost cause.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Go home, Lupica; you’re drunk!

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Lupica stopped being relevant around 1998. Why is Harvey holding 1st baseman glove?

4. chip56 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I always get a chuckle out of Mike Lupica telling someone else they have an ego problem. It’s kind of like a 400lb man saying that a 500lb man has a weight problem.

• Paper Lions - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Agreed. But in this case, isn’t it actually like a 500 lb man telling a 300 lb man he has a weight problem?

• estamalbob - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM

No, that would be if it was Mike Francesa.

5. renaado - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Matt Harvey to Mike Lupica:

GTFO!

• mmeyer3387 - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Why do we need Lupica? He has very little to offer the average sports fan and nothing to offer a well informed fan.

6. Kevin S. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Everyone to Mike Lupica: Shut up!

7. nobody78 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Sometimes reading Craig feels a lot like reading Sean Newell.

8. thomas844 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Mike, go back to writing children’s novels.

9. sdelmonte - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Um, I agree with Lupica. Oh, he’s being a bit grumpy and all. But Harvey’s constant “I wanna pitch!” comments when everyone in the organization is scared to death we lose another young pitcher to a second injury (see under: Jeremy Hefner) are rubbing me the wrong way.

Also, I like Lupica’s Sunday morning show on ESPN Radio.

• karlkolchak - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

So what would you RATHER he say? –“Nah, I don’t wanna pitch anymore. I’d rather go chase supermodels.”

• sdelmonte - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I’d rather he say nothing.

• Paper Lions - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM

How would that work?

If Harvey said “no comment”, it would be scandalous.

If he stopped answering questions, the media would start to whine about him not being forthcoming and then just make sh!t up to fill in the blanks.

Even if he said, “I am working hard to back on the field.” and nothing more, he’d still be asked when that will be, and any non-answer would lead to rampant speculation of a set back or some such.

This is the media (Lupica) complaining about a 100% media-created issue that is a complete non-issue.

• estamalbob - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM

So you’re the guy who watches it.

• estamalbob - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Sorry, listens to it. My bad.

10. karlkolchak - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Ugh, here is DC we have a similar problem. Our alleged baseball “sage,” Thomas Boswell, should have been put out to pature a LONG time ago. I’d like to get a job-for-life where I can coast of the the exhaust fumes of my once decent reputation for decades on end. These guys are harder to get rid of than Supreme Court justices.

11. luz56 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I’d rather have Lupica say nothing….

12. jbriggs81 - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I can’t wait til Harvey has had enough with the Mets and finally becomes a Yankee. That being said, he really shouldn’t be talking to the media, without first conferring with the Mets first. Like it or not – they are his employer and they control media relations. Lupica just took it too far

13. 4grammarpolice - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM

The article wasn’t as incoherent as you make it out to be. Go back to sniffing Harvey’s jock strap you wannabe.

14. sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Just because it’s Mike Lupica doesn’t mean he’s wrong about this.

Harvey is being an idiot about all of this.

And the Mets can’t handle managing it and him through this process…

It’s all a joke.

Remember a few weeks ago when it was said that Harvey was going to throw and then a stink was made about which day and others not knowing?

The Mets brass from the G.M., the manager, the head trainer can’t even get on the same page as to when he was going to throw his first bullpen in his TJ rehab.

The whole thing is a joke for the Mets and Harvey.

15. 4grammarpolice - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Since we’re playing the paraphrase game, I’ll give it a try:

Matt Harvey is my man-crush, and you can’t criticize my man-crush because Matt Harvey invented baseball. So if you criticize Matt Harvey, it must mean you’re a jerk. If Matt Harvey is reading this, he might like me enough to let me interview him and then I can pretend I’m an important person and show off to my friends. I repeat, Matt Harvey is my man-crush, and even though Mike Lupica has been a writer in this town since before I was born, he’s not allowed to criticize Matt Harvey because Matt Harvey is my man-crush. God I love Matt Harvey. Do whatever you want Matt, because Lupica is the jerk.

16. mungman69 - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Lupica has always looked like Jim Cook.

17. trbmb - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Lupica, washed up writer, should limit himself to his Sunday columns where he mentions his many famous ‘friends’ and then glorifies his magnificent family members, who are all the most wonderful. To quote Mikey himself, ‘Just sayin’.

18. bbk1000 - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Word to Mike Lupica…..grow…..

Lupica still sounds like Peter Brady did when his voice was changing that one episode…..

19. mrmetfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Lets see…. Matt Harvey was to throw off the mound tues in Fla but Harvey with the “approval” of some Mets higher ups throws a few days earlier in NY. Big Woop! We are not talking about throwing off the mound 6 months after tj surgery! Lupica, Francessa, Bennigo and the rest of the Harvey haters should just pipe down!

20. yahmule - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

On a successful team, this would be a non-issue. A successful team wouldn’t publicly micro-manage the young man’s rehab and open up the debate for every media hack and internet expert. But that’s why they’re the Mets.

21. ultimatehitcoach - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM

anywhere but new jerk, where if you aren’t screaming your lungs out, no one listens to you.. everyone oout in the real world is saying the same thing: SHUT UP & PLAY BALL!! IF YOU AIN’T PLAYIN’ BALL SHUT UP!
    players are measured by their deeds, not their words. MATT HARVEY- YOU AIN’T BOB GIBSON, ROGER CLEMENS, GREG MADDUX. YOU’VE WON 12, LOST 10. YOU AIN’T THE BEST PITCHER OON YOUR TEAM! IN FACT YOU’RE NOT EVEN PITCHING. SO UNTIL YOU ARE BACK ON THE MOUND & WINNING MLB GAMES, YOU’RE NOT QUALIFIED TO HAVE AN OPINION.
    come back after you’ve healed up, & pitched your 1st MLB game without further injury. until then, any energy expended talking would be better utilized re-habbing your injury.

22. jfk69 - Aug 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Lupo..Is his thoughts still relevant.

23. njcowboyz - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Lupica is terrible writer with ties to the Met organizations. He’s just upset because he knows that Matt Harvey does not like how he has been treated by the Mets organization and will likely be on the first train out of town when his time comes. Unless, of course, he just puts on the pinstripes and plays for the Yankees. Then Lupica can really tells us what he thinks about him since Lupica’s other agenda is to bash the Yankees.

Yet another WS run for the Giants