Aug 18, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: Wright is surprisingly in the Mets’ lineup for today’s game.
Mets third baseman David Wright sat out Sunday’s game after being hit on the left shoulder by a pitch Saturday and it sounds like he may miss multiple games.
It’s the same shoulder that gave Wright trouble earlier this season and in talking to Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger manager Terry Collins seemed unsure about how much blamed to place on the shoulder problems for the seven-time All-Star’s career-worst season:
I do believe due to the injury in the first half he tried to make some adjustments in his swing and it changed a little bit. Actually he’s been swinging the bat very good lately. It’s just that everybody expects so much out of him that if he doesn’t hit homers or he doesn’t hit a lot of doubles, everybody thinks there’s an issue offensively. I don’t think that’s the case. … I do believe that David Wright will bounce back, whether it’s next week or next year.
Wright has hit just .273 with eight homers and a .711 OPS in 117 games after posting a combined .307 batting average and .892 OPS during the previous two seasons.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)