Aug 18, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: Wright is surprisingly in the Mets’ lineup for today’s game.
Mets third baseman David Wright sat out Sunday’s game after being hit on the left shoulder by a pitch Saturday and it sounds like he may miss multiple games.
It’s the same shoulder that gave Wright trouble earlier this season and in talking to Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger manager Terry Collins seemed unsure about how much blamed to place on the shoulder problems for the seven-time All-Star’s career-worst season:
I do believe due to the injury in the first half he tried to make some adjustments in his swing and it changed a little bit. Actually he’s been swinging the bat very good lately. It’s just that everybody expects so much out of him that if he doesn’t hit homers or he doesn’t hit a lot of doubles, everybody thinks there’s an issue offensively. I don’t think that’s the case. … I do believe that David Wright will bounce back, whether it’s next week or next year.
Wright has hit just .273 with eight homers and a .711 OPS in 117 games after posting a combined .307 batting average and .892 OPS during the previous two seasons.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)