Aug 18, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
As far as tributes go I think this way better than the media hagiographies. I mean, this corn maze with Derek Jeter’s face only has one cliche in it — the words “Captain Clutch” — instead of a dozen or so like most of Johnny Sportswriter’s Jeter columns:
Of all the tributes to Derek Jeter, this may be the corniest.
The retiring Yankees captain’s face is now etched into a five-acre corn maze at VonThun Farms on Ridge Road in South Brunswick.
The corn-maze design was originally going to be a tractor with pumpkins in it, but the company that helps the VonThun family with its corn maze had a better idea, and it’s still great in September and October.
It’s just like Jeter too: almost exactly and equally great in September as it is in October, yet everyone will say it’s ten times better in October.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)