Aug 18, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
As far as tributes go I think this way better than the media hagiographies. I mean, this corn maze with Derek Jeter’s face only has one cliche in it — the words “Captain Clutch” — instead of a dozen or so like most of Johnny Sportswriter’s Jeter columns:
Of all the tributes to Derek Jeter, this may be the corniest.
The retiring Yankees captain’s face is now etched into a five-acre corn maze at VonThun Farms on Ridge Road in South Brunswick.
The corn-maze design was originally going to be a tractor with pumpkins in it, but the company that helps the VonThun family with its corn maze had a better idea, and it’s still great in September and October.
It’s just like Jeter too: almost exactly and equally great in September as it is in October, yet everyone will say it’s ten times better in October.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)