Aug 18, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
As far as tributes go I think this way better than the media hagiographies. I mean, this corn maze with Derek Jeter’s face only has one cliche in it — the words “Captain Clutch” — instead of a dozen or so like most of Johnny Sportswriter’s Jeter columns:
Of all the tributes to Derek Jeter, this may be the corniest.
The retiring Yankees captain’s face is now etched into a five-acre corn maze at VonThun Farms on Ridge Road in South Brunswick.
The corn-maze design was originally going to be a tractor with pumpkins in it, but the company that helps the VonThun family with its corn maze had a better idea, and it’s still great in September and October.
It’s just like Jeter too: almost exactly and equally great in September as it is in October, yet everyone will say it’s ten times better in October.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 31
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 6
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)