Aug 18, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
As far as tributes go I think this way better than the media hagiographies. I mean, this corn maze with Derek Jeter’s face only has one cliche in it — the words “Captain Clutch” — instead of a dozen or so like most of Johnny Sportswriter’s Jeter columns:
Of all the tributes to Derek Jeter, this may be the corniest.
The retiring Yankees captain’s face is now etched into a five-acre corn maze at VonThun Farms on Ridge Road in South Brunswick.
The corn-maze design was originally going to be a tractor with pumpkins in it, but the company that helps the VonThun family with its corn maze had a better idea, and it’s still great in September and October.
It’s just like Jeter too: almost exactly and equally great in September as it is in October, yet everyone will say it’s ten times better in October.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)