Of course you want to see a corn maze portraying Derek Jeter’s face

Aug 18, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

As far as tributes go I think this way better than the media hagiographies. I mean, this corn maze with Derek Jeter’s face only has one cliche in it — the words “Captain Clutch” — instead of a dozen or so like most of Johnny Sportswriter’s Jeter columns:

Of all the tributes to Derek Jeter, this may be the corniest.

Literally.

The retiring Yankees captain’s face is now etched into a five-acre corn maze at VonThun Farms on Ridge Road in South Brunswick.

The corn-maze design was originally going to be a tractor with pumpkins in it, but the company that helps the VonThun family with its corn maze had a better idea, and it’s still great in September and October.

It’s just like Jeter too: almost exactly and equally great in September as it is in October, yet everyone will say it’s ten times better in October.

Pic of the corn maze at the link.

1. sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Not really…

Now, the bodies of his hotties throughout the years…

• proudlycanadian - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I was originally thinking of pictures from playboy, but your suggestion works just fine.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM

That’s aMAIZE-ingly corny

/shows self out

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM

… and it’s more than a kernel cloying

/ducks

3. nolanwiffle - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I still maintain he’s no Ty Cobb.

• nyyankeefanforever - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Who ever said he was? I still maintain there is intelligent life in the universe — your absurdly irrelevant observation notwithstanding.

• someguyinva - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Corn maze, Cobb, think about it, nyyankeefanforever…

• twenty1miles - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Joke
        | Your head

• chip56 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM

you make us look bad when you miss a joke like that.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Nothing can go over my head. I will reach up and grab it.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Nolan: You can’t tell a joke to Yankees fans that makes them range farther than Jeter can!

• tellyspop - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I knew this dude who had corn rows in his hair. He went to sleep and woke up, looked in the mirror, someone had put crop circles in his corn rows!

4. mybrunoblog - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Mount Rushmore or U.S. Currency can’t be far behind for Jeter.

5. johnnysoda - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM

That’s the first space on my Craig bingo card for the week: Derek Jeter is being overrated in his last season.

I’m only two away from a bingo!

• chill1184 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM

HBT bingo intrigues me

• twenty1miles - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM

HBT bingo should be done on a weekly basis. Some categories I thought of:

Article that mentions Chief Wahoo
        Article that lambasts an article lambasting a steroid user
        Article that trolls the Phillies or the fans
        Article that criticizes Kirk Gibson and/or the Diamondbacks.

I know there’s more. Its early and I can’t think of them. FWIW HBT is my favorite blog out there.

• Rich Stowe - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM

they need to make this official! great idea!

now if only we could turn HBT into a drinking game….

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Article defending a young cocky player someone in the media is yelling at.

Article in which a non-baseball topic which jibes with my personal political/social views is connected to baseball in the slightest possible way in order to justify me writing about it.

Article that is really just a video or something because nothing is going on, I haven’t posted for an hour and I’m kind of tired and/or bored and/or busy reading some other big article and don’t have the time to do much else.

• johnnysoda - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I had posted the idea in Craig’s most recent “baseball is dying” post. I had a few other categories, such as “A-Rod”, “Bud Selig”, “Minor League Drug Suspensions”, and “Yasiel Puig”. Articles like the one about Mike Lupica and Matt Harvey should be a free space.

• Kevin S. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM

We can’t have HBT Bingo if Craig is going to corrupt the integrity of the game by blogging to achieve a certain bingo winner. I’m afraid this could result in permanent ineligibility from the Baseball Bloggers Hall of Fame.

• twenty1miles - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Well done Kevin

• Jason @ IIATMS - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM

article about ballpark food and/or whiskey blends.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Article where twitter questions get answered…oh wait, Craig hasn’t done that in a while so it would probably never get filled in ;)

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

@twenty1miles you forgot:

1. Baseball is dying
        2. #Disrespecting, which comes with the Puig and non-Puig divisions
        3. Craig the hipster (a bit catchall, but there’s enough here for that category)

• twenty1miles - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM

How the hell did I miss baseball is dying?

6. clydeserra - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM

there is no entrance or exit.

It is sponsored by a radio station.

“designed to honor [his] accomplishments achievements and success”

• twinfan24 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I also noticed the no exit or entrance. Made me wonder if this is legit or faked. Not saying it is faked, but it made the cynical part of me wonder.

7. chip56 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I still submit that Jeter’s greatest accomplishment is dating both Sue Storm (Jessica Alba) and the Black Widow (Scarlett Johannson) let’s see Batman top that.

8. mungman69 - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM

EARS of corn.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3484)