Aug 18, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Shaikin adds that Clemens was suspended based on a “non-analytical” violation, which is the same situation we saw with the 14 suspensions from the Biogenesis scandal last year. The evidence could include things like documents, clinic records and shipping information.
8:01 p.m. ET: According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Pirates minor league right-hander Michael Clemens has been suspended 68 games for “possession and use” of human growth hormone.
Clemens, 21, was selected in the 16th round out of a McNeese State University back in June. He had a 1.00 ERA and 20/5 K/BB ratio over his first 18 professional innings as a reliever with the Pirates’ rookie ball team in Bristol, Virginia.
Why 68 games? Danny Wild of MiLB.com provides the explanation:
Under the rules of the new Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for Rookie and Short-Season leagues, a first violation receives a discipline of 80 games or the total number of regular-season games in the league, whichever is shorter.
And so, Clemens’ first pro season ends on a sour note and the suspension will roll over into 2015.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)