Aug 19, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Adam Dunn is 34 years old and having a productive season for the White Sox, ranking among the league’s top 25 in OPS while approaching 500 career homers, yet with free agency and another payday around the corner this offseason he’s pondering retirement.
Dunn, who’s finishing up a four-year, $56 million contract, talked to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com about his upcoming decision:
You’re used to doing something your whole life, and I know it’s going to be an adjustment, but I’m fortunate to be able to put myself in this situation at a pretty young age to make the call. There’s nothing bad about that. I’m not sad about that. I’m actually pretty happy about it.
Dunn has three kids under 10 years old and more than $100 million in career earnings, so as he told Hayes:
I’m not a 22-year-old single guy anymore. There are a lot of things that play into coming back and your decision.
Since a disastrous first season in Chicago he’s posted a .784 OPS in 400 games for the White Sox and with 459 career homers Dunn is likely only two seasons from joining the 500-homer club. And of course now he’s gotten all of that pitching experience, too.
Throughout his career Dunn’s bad defense, high strikeout rates, and low batting averages have made him a frequent target of criticism, but among all active hitters with at least 5,000 career plate appearances he ranks 18th in OPS at .858, sandwiched between Robinson Cano at .860 and teammate Paul Konerko at .843.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)