Aug 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Something obviously wasn’t right with Reds closer Aroldis Chapman when he walked all four batters he faced Sunday and sure enough he was unavailable last night due to what the team is calling an “achy” shoulder.
Here’s what manager Bryan Price told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com:
He’s just a little achy and it just doesn’t make sense at all for us to keep running him out there. He was a little achy [Sunday]. I didn’t want to say anything but he was. By the time we knew there might be an issue, the damage was done yesterday. Our trainers say it’s a day-to-day thing and that he could be ready to go soon. I’m not crossing him off our list for tomorrow by any means.
For whatever it’s worth, Chapman averaged 99.5 miles per hour with his fastball in Sunday’s walk-fest, topping out at 101.5 mph. It was just the second time in this season’s 39 appearances that Chapman walked more than one batter and prior to walking four consecutive batters he’d walked a total of four batters in his previous 11 appearances, spanning 11 innings with a 0.84 ERA, .125 opponents’ batting average, and 20/4 K/BB ratio.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)