Aug 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Something obviously wasn’t right with Reds closer Aroldis Chapman when he walked all four batters he faced Sunday and sure enough he was unavailable last night due to what the team is calling an “achy” shoulder.
Here’s what manager Bryan Price told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com:
He’s just a little achy and it just doesn’t make sense at all for us to keep running him out there. He was a little achy [Sunday]. I didn’t want to say anything but he was. By the time we knew there might be an issue, the damage was done yesterday. Our trainers say it’s a day-to-day thing and that he could be ready to go soon. I’m not crossing him off our list for tomorrow by any means.
For whatever it’s worth, Chapman averaged 99.5 miles per hour with his fastball in Sunday’s walk-fest, topping out at 101.5 mph. It was just the second time in this season’s 39 appearances that Chapman walked more than one batter and prior to walking four consecutive batters he’d walked a total of four batters in his previous 11 appearances, spanning 11 innings with a 0.84 ERA, .125 opponents’ batting average, and 20/4 K/BB ratio.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)