Aug 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
McLouth played just 79 games and hit .173 for the Nationals in the first season of a two-year, $10.75 million deal that always seemed awfully rich for a fourth outfielder.
His status explains why the Nationals went looking for more outfield depth by signing Cubs castoff Nate Schierholtz to a minor-league contract.
McLouth is owed $5 million next season with a $6.5 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2016.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29