Aug 19, 2014, 9:36 PM EST
The Orioles’ four-year, $50 million deal with starter Ubaldo Jimenez is already looking like a disaster.
Jimenez registered a 4.83 ERA and 1.55 WHIP over his first 20 outings this season and now MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli reports that the right-hander has been demoted to the bullpen for the stretch run. Miguel Gonzalez will return from Triple-A Norfolk this weekend to fill Baltimore’s vacant rotation spot.
Jimenez was one of the best starters in baseball in 2010, when he finished third in the National League Cy Young Award voting after posting a 2.88 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 214 strikeouts across 221 2/3 innings for the Rockies. But a lack of command has always been a major issue — even in that standout 2010 season — and he’ll finish out 2014 as a mop-up man.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)