Aug 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Andrew McCutchen is off the disabled list and back in the Pirates’ lineup after missing the minimum 15 days with a fractured rib.
McCutchen actually remained on the active roster for most of that time before the Pirates finally shut him down and backdated the disabled list stint.
His return means Starling Marte will shift back to left field and Travis Snider will lose a bunch of playing time. And the Pirates will have the reigning MVP back in the lineup in an attempt to break a six-game losing streak.
McCutchen was having another MVP-caliber season at the time of the injury, ranking among the NL’s top five in batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.411), slugging percentage (.536), and OPS (.947). Even after missing two weeks he still ranks second to only Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton in Wins Above Replacement among position players.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)