Aug 19, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Your team — the one team in the NL West some people said could give the Dodgers a race — is 16.5 games back. You’ve come off two .500 years in a row that were, based on the year before that, disappointments. Your managerial style has been widely criticized and there is no small amount of evidence that said style has driven players away who have flourished elsewhere. Plus, you’re getting a rep for being dirty, frankly. What does that earn you?
Apparently it gets your option year picked up.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Diamondbacks are planning to bring manager Kirk Gibson back for 2015. No official word yet and no word about the status of Kevin Towers. But Nightengale thinks that Tony La Russa is leaning in the direction of giving Gibby another go.
Hey, their team. They can do what they wanna.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)