Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
It’s an odd time of the year for contract extensions to be announced, but that’s what the Indians did. If only a minor one: they announced that they have signed righty reliever Scott Atchison through the 2015 season with a club option for 2016.
Atchison, 38, and the reliever who looks most like your high school gym teacher, has been great in 2014, posting a 6-0 record with a 2.95 ERA in 53 relief appearances, striking out 37 and walking nine in 55 innings. For his career he’s 16-10 with a 3.51 ERA in 258 Major League appearances.
Everyone always says they can go out in the winter and revamp the bullpen. The Indians have decided, nope, they’d rather keep what they have. Can’t blame ’em.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 33
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)