Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
It’s an odd time of the year for contract extensions to be announced, but that’s what the Indians did. If only a minor one: they announced that they have signed righty reliever Scott Atchison through the 2015 season with a club option for 2016.
Atchison, 38, and the reliever who looks most like your high school gym teacher, has been great in 2014, posting a 6-0 record with a 2.95 ERA in 53 relief appearances, striking out 37 and walking nine in 55 innings. For his career he’s 16-10 with a 3.51 ERA in 258 Major League appearances.
Everyone always says they can go out in the winter and revamp the bullpen. The Indians have decided, nope, they’d rather keep what they have. Can’t blame ‘em.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)