The Indians sign Scott Atchison to a contract extension

Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Texas Rangers AP

It’s an odd time of the year for contract extensions to be announced, but that’s what the Indians did. If only a minor one: they announced that they have signed righty reliever Scott Atchison through the 2015 season with a club option for 2016.

Atchison, 38, and the reliever who looks most like your high school gym teacher, has been great in 2014, posting a 6-0 record with a 2.95 ERA in 53 relief appearances, striking out 37 and walking nine in 55 innings. For his career he’s 16-10 with a 3.51 ERA in 258 Major League appearances.

Everyone always says they can go out in the winter and revamp the bullpen. The Indians have decided, nope, they’d rather keep what they have. Can’t blame ‘em.

1. Jack Glasscock's Cup - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Yay! Now Chisenhall and Kluber have a whole winter to think up some new “Scott Atchison is so old . . .” zingers.

2. freedomofspeechyesway - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM

“Atchison, 38, and the reliever who looks most like your high school gym teacher”

Hah I actually thought virtually the same thing while watching him the other day. I think I had High School Football Coach in mind, but close enough. Regardless, he looks like he’s a guy that could be seen yelling at children in a school setting.

3. pete2112 - Aug 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Scott Atchison makes me smile because he makes me feel young when I look at him. I hope he pitches at least five more seasons.

4. happytwinsfan - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM

He looks like Tim Allen just starting to morph into Santa Claus.

• pete2112 - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Wow I just looked at that picture again and he really does. It almost looks like they photo shopped Tim Allen’s face on him.

• twinfan24 - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Tim “Tool Man” Taylor was the same thought I had in the pic above.

5. theuncletodd - Aug 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I think the last time he gave up a run, FDR was president 😛

6. theRed - Aug 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Never understood in the Red Sox continuing building of the bullpen the last few years they decided to let Atchinson walk. All he did was pitch reliably out of the pen, and a good amount of runs he gave up were in near-unwinnable games.

There’s nothing not to like about him. Hope he continues success in the majors.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2939)