Aug 19, 2014, 7:01 PM EST
Great news here for the second-place Cardinals.
Injured catcher Yadier Molina told Jim Hayes of FOX Sports Midwest on Tuesday afternoon that he is hoping to be cleared to begin swinging a bat on Wednesday or Thursday. Molina has been catching bullpen sessions and taking light infield practice over the past week without experiencing any abnormal discomfort in his surgically-repaired right thumb.
Molina has been on the disabled list since tearing a ligament in his thumb on a slide into third base July 9. A.J. Pierzynski and Tony Cruz have been filling in at catcher for the Cardinals, who are 2 1/2 games back of the Brewers in the National League Central standings. St. Louis has a pretty firm grip on the top National League Wild Card spot here in mid-August.
Molina, a six-time Gold Glove Award winner and six-time National League All-Star, appears to be progressing toward an early-September return. Young starter Michael Wacha (shoulder) isn’t too far behind him.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)