Aug 19, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Great news here for the second-place Cardinals.
Injured catcher Yadier Molina told Jim Hayes of FOX Sports Midwest on Tuesday afternoon that he is hoping to be cleared to begin swinging a bat on Wednesday or Thursday. Molina has been catching bullpen sessions and taking light infield practice over the past week without experiencing any abnormal discomfort in his surgically-repaired right thumb.
Molina has been on the disabled list since tearing a ligament in his thumb on a slide into third base July 9. A.J. Pierzynski and Tony Cruz have been filling in at catcher for the Cardinals, who are 2 1/2 games back of the Brewers in the National League Central standings. St. Louis has a pretty firm grip on the top National League Wild Card spot here in mid-August.
Molina, a six-time Gold Glove Award winner and six-time National League All-Star, appears to be progressing toward an early-September return. Young starter Michael Wacha (shoulder) isn’t too far behind him.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)