Yoenis Cespedes to the Oakland A’s: “I hope you win it all”

Aug 19, 2014, 2:20 PM EST

Yoenis Cespedes AP

Jane Lee of MLB.com caught up with former Oakland Athletic Yoenis Cespedes. She got his feelings on the day of the trade that sent him to Boston and how he’s coping since. Cespedes said he almost cried when he found out he was leaving Oakland — his mother did cry — and that he hoped to stay with the A’s for his entire career. Still, he gets that it’s a business and holds no hard feelings.

Quite the opposite, actually. He asked Lee to give a message to his former teammates in Oakland:

“It was a true and sincere honor to have started my career with the Oakland A’s, and I wish the players, the coaching staff, the front office, nothing but the best of luck moving forward and in the postseason, and I hope you win it all. I want you to know it was a great pleasure to play there, and I just want to say thank you to everybody over there.”

That’s a pretty generous and level-headed take there. Of course, should Boston be back in the playoff hunt in 2015, I presume he’ll be far less enthusiastic about wanting to see the Athletics do well.

1. pete2112 - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Was this picture taken the moment he found out he was being traded?

• josemartez - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Nope. He’s already in a Boston uniform.

• pete2112 - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I should have noticed that, thanks. Perhaps he was thinking back to happier days in Oakland when it him he was now in Boston.
        In all seriousness, he’s the perfect kind of guy to take the torch from Ortiz and I can see him being a huge fan favorite if he ends up staying in Boston.

• 1981titan - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Nope. He was asked to do an impression of Jack White.

• HitsDingers - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I wish I had more hands to give you more thumbs up

2. historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM

It will burn all the more, kid, when you leave Boston and they talk smack about you on the way out.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Boooooooo!

/throws gin-soaked olives

• historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM

More, please!!!!!

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Apparently I didn’t think that through. Oh well.

/orders extra dry martini with extra olives.

• historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:07 PM

If this is like that ALS challenge thing but with booze, I’m in. I prefer vodka though, thanks.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM

That’s nice. Bartender, please get the lady something with vodka innit. Lady, what you like with vodka innit?

• historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Yes, please. Oh.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Too good to drink with me? Thatsh fine. Suitcherself.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM

A slightly different interpretation of this conversation:

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Candy is dandy …

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM

If it’s in Fenway, they’ll throw more than gin-soaked olives. (That said, it’s not Philly.)

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I’ve sat in Fenway’s right field grandstand one too many times to dispute you much. But I’ve never seen anything worse than a beach ball thrown on the field, and that’s better than a battery. Plus which, Bob Stanley knew how to deal with beach balls.

• petey1999 - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM

What do you think is worse – smack on your way out or smack while you’re still there?

• historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I’m gonna go with neither — cuz I’m pretty sure it’s not the good kind of smacking.

• petey1999 - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM

That’s gonna put a lot of writers out of work.

• mribiscairo - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Would you have called him “kid” if he were white? Or is that sort of casual racism acceptable when you constantly pass yourself off as a liberal?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Oh I’m sorry, the correct derogatory term you were looking for is “boy”. Judges?

*buzzer*

Sorry we can award you no points. Please head back to freerepublic.com and try again another day…

• Jack Glasscock's Cup - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

This has to be trolling.

Please say it is and restore my faith in a non-idiocratic future.

• Detroit Michael - Aug 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Yes, it is trolling. To fill you in on the back story, some of the frequent posters accuse historiophiliac of being overly sensitive to gender-based bias in the past.

I would advocate for not carrying a grudge from one thread over to the next one.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I call all of my teammates “kid.” Be it competitive softball, recreational volleyball, horseshoes, basketball, bean bags, ping pong, etc… I also call people on the other team “kid” when they make a nice play.
        And (shhhhh…don’t tell anyone)…I do this regardless of their ethnicity!
        I know…I know. It’s a sonofabitchin’ shock huh?

See…let me show you.

“Thata’ play kid!”
        “Way to rope a ball kid!”
        “How about a little hustle kid?”
        “Come on kid. Every person in the State of Indiana can hit a jump shot.” “Why can’t you?”

“The post I am responding to right now is one of the worst posts I have seen this year kid.”

• indaburg - Aug 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Wrong -ism. “Kid” is ageism. Sheesh. You can’t even troll right.

• theskinsman - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Shut the hell up. What a douche you are.

3. sisisisisisisi - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Yasiel has a lot to learn from his comrade

4. drewsylvania - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Seems like a good guy. Hopefully he does well and ownership doesn’t treat him like trash.

5. unclemosesgreen - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM

So I guess you would call that a ‘reverse Kinsler.’

• philliesblow - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM

“Relsink”

6. irishlad19 - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:29 PM

The man has a smart advisor who wrote a very nice statement for him ( I don’t believe Cepedes speaks English very well). Hopefully he comes to enjoy Boston and signs on for a long contract.

• Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM

He probably had some help cleaning it up, but there’s no reason to believe the sentiment isn’t his.

• irishlad19 - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Agree, I said it badly, was not intended as a knock on Cespedes, he looks like a classy guy.

• clydeserra - Aug 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM

“Cespedes said through interpreter Adrian Lorenzo.”

You could read the article, you know.

I don’t expect, however, that you read English very well.

• irishlad19 - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Ok, my bad, and I think Cespedes is a classy young man that I hope the Red Sox will keep around for a long time. No slur intended, but it said it poorly.

• clydeserra - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, sorry, came off snarkier than it was intended

7. ninerlivinsd - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I’m a die hard A’s fan and this one will come back to bite them. Cespedes was only hitting 250 and his OBP was low, but he hit .315 in the playoffs last year when no one was doing anything. He kept that lineup together and now they are hitting like the padres. This will be Beane’s darkest time. Shouldn’t have traded anyone, especially Cespedes. We had the best team in baseball, now the Braves are making us look like a AAA team.

Beane will regret this trade and I’m already looking forward to the Sacramento Kings season. Not Good!

• daveitsgood - Aug 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Why on earth would you be looking forward to the Sacramento Kings? Not even Sacramentans really look forward to the season.

• stipez - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I was at a Kings game in March, the featured jersey at the pro shop? C. Webb

8. embinoratsicus - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM

He is a classy guy. He writes English better than he speaks it, but he is also very articulate in Spanish and can probably afford a translator. We are going to miss him in Oakland, but that is how we roll once someone becomes trade bait. I wish him well, even on the Sox.

9. pantherpro - Aug 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM

sucks for you Oakland. You lose him and you aint going nowhere in playoffs

Go Giants

10. cincinata - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Talk about going nowhere? The giants will be right in back of the Reds.

11. irishlad19 - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Sorry, my earlier comment appears to have upset some folks.
    In no way do I want to indicate that Cepedes is not a classy young man. It would be a pleasure to keep him in Boston for a long time.

12. scyankee64 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Of course he wants them to win the World Series. If they do, he gets a ring.

• j0esixpack - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM

And possibly a share of the bonus $ too I think

But he seems like a good kid (no offense meant to those who think “kid” is an insult) – and I don’t doubt his best wishes for his former teammates are sincere

Heck – he was on a World Series contender and now he’s on a team that’s not (at least not this season) – and he’s dealt with that as maturely and with as much class as one could expect

Give the kid some credit – at the very least he could be angry at the organization if not his teammates – but he understands that they got stronger by trading him (at least for this season)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3304)
  2. J. Kang (3134)
  3. C. McGehee (2848)
  4. J. Upton (2833)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2827)
  1. D. Ross (2649)