Aug 20, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Over the weekend Carlos Beltran was cleared to play the outfield for the first time since May, but now his season-long elbow problems have returned and the 37-year-old has been scratched from the Yankees’ lineup.
Beltran was slated to start tonight at designated hitter, but instead Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports that he’ll be examined further by doctors. He’s been playing through bone spurs in his elbow with little success, hitting a career-low .233 with 14 homers and a .707 OPS that’s his lowest since 2003.
That poor overall production includes a current 1-for-28 (.036) slump in his last eight games and Beltran apparently tweaked his elbow on a swing Tuesday. It’s long been assumed that Beltran will undergo offseason surgery to remove the bone chips and it’s possible the Yankees will decide to shut him down early.
Beltran is under contract for $15 million in both 2015 and 2016.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)