Aug 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez underwent season-ending knee surgery Monday and now there’s some doubt whether he’ll be fully recovered for the beginning of spring training.
Rockies trainer Keith Dugger told Thomas Harding of MLB.com that doctors discovered Gonzalez’s bursa sac “was beat up and torn up” and an official return timetable won’t be known until 4-5 months into the recovery process.
Five months from now would be late January, so it wouldn’t take much of a setback to sideline Gonzalez into spring training. He’ll spend at least the next three weeks on crutches.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 52
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 21
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29