Derek Jeter, Andrew McCutchen do the ice bucket challenge

Aug 20, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Lots of people are doing the ice bucket challenge. And while some people are getting grumpy about it for being overplayed or whatever, I couldn’t give less of a crap as long as money is going to fight ALS. They can make it into the “stand on your head and spit wooden nickels challenge” and it’d be totally cool. This ain’t the Harlem Shake, here.

Two of baseball’s biggest names have done it in the past couple of days. Derek Jeter and Andrew McCutchen. And they gave us entertaining versions. Jeter’s because the guys who poured the bucket were CC Sabathia and Masahiro Tanaka, who are apparently still physically intact:

McCutchen’s is cool because he went artistic with it:

If seeing these otherwise classy professionals jump around and yelp from a cold water bath has inspired you to help fight ALS, here is an excellent place to start.

1. johnnysoda - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I can’t stand that challenge, considering many of the people who do the challenge don’t donate money. They can claim that they’re raising awareness, but “awareness” without action means nothing.

• largebill - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Agree. It is fine that some funds are being raised, but it is a little crass for someone to tell someone else they HAVE to donate to a particular charity. I give to various charities, but like to think it is my own choice which ones to support.

• shadowchronicler - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Agree. If someone asks me to donate to their cause I always get so mad that I donate to other charities just to spite them. God I hate people that succeed at raising awareness to a disease. Those people are the worst.

• chip56 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

You still have the choice. You can feel free to donate (or not donate) all that you want. If you feel compelled to make a donation because someone challenges you in a video or wants you to support their walk then you’re a moron. Those are provided as ways to let you know that there are these causes out there that you can help fight. If they don’t speak to you in some particular way then feel free to donate elsewhere.

• Stiller43 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM

You ever think the awareness raised may make others donate?

• steelpenbucs87 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Ehhhhh…. you can fault people for not donating MORE but you can’t argue that the campaign as a whole has been effective. The ALS association has raised $22.9 M in the last three works versus $1.9 M over the same period last year. So I would argue that the challenge has certainly raised awareness, which in turn has spurred action. So maybe just park your cynicism, or better yet right a check yourself if you’re concerned.

On a happier note – the McCutchen one is especially funny because of the homage to Wolverine – on a broadcast on Monday night he said that he had Wolverine’s blood because he was able to heal so quickly from the rib injury (no word on whether or not it would help him pitch though :-( )

• shadowchronicler - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I love people like you and largebill. Because they can claim they’re raising awareness because um… they are. When there is a 400% increase in donations to fight ALS, I’m pretty sure people are “aware” of where the money is going. I think it’s you that is unaware of that action is being taken.

• chip56 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I haven’t met a single person who has done the challenge and not also donated some money.

2. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM

“Tanaka, one day. For pouring ice cold cubes at my back without noticing, I’ll have my revenge pouring an ice cold kirin to you someday.”

Sincerely, your beloved batterymate
    -Shima Motohiro

• renaado - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

After Rakuten winnin that Japan Series last year, I’m pretty sure they’re on good terms now, though.

3. jm91rs - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Love it or hate it, the results speak for themselves. They’ve raised a ton of money they would not have otherwise raised. Here’s hoping the ALS charities are well organized and can make the most of the influx of cash.

4. chip56 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I feel like the people who are most bitter about this challenge are the ones who don’t have any friends asking them to take the challenge and they feel left out.

5. El Bravo - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I task you all with the poo-bucket challenge to help raise awareness of IBS. GO!

6. Uncle Charlie - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

But only one was a true class act.

7. Uncle Charlie - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:32 AM

And why the hell didn’t ESPN televise it!?!

8. tearlw - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I can’t help but get the feeling that the people who run the ice bucket challenge down are the same kind of hipster tools who can’t stand it when their band gets popular. They say, “awareness without action means nothing.” But all I hear is, “I used to give to ALS research before it was cool.”

• 18thstreet - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM

People who have anything negative to say about $15 million being raised to fight a dreaded and presently incurable disease need to reevaluate their lives.

9. foreverchipper10 - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I did the challenge last night and will be making my donation today. Without this challenge there was a zero percent chance of my donating money to ALS. Silly as it may seem I would say it is doing it’s job of raising awareness/funds.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2929)