Aug 20, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis and the South Philadelphia Taney Dragons took their first loss Wednesday evening in the double-elimination Little League World Series.
Davis struck out six batters and walked just one, but a powerful team from Mountain Ridge Little League of Las Vegas got to her for six hits — including an RBI triple and a two-run home run by Dallan Cave — in an eventual 8-1 defeat in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Davis made it just 2 1/3 innings before reaching her predesignated pitch count of 55. Go ahead and blame it on the old Sports Illustrated jinx.
Las Vegas now advances to the United States Championship game on Saturday. Davis and her Mid-Atlantic squad can get there with a win over Jackie Robinson West on Thursday in the consolation bracket.
Wednesday night’s game drew a record crowd of 34,128 fans to Lamade Stadium in Williamsport. That is higher than the average 2014 attendance for 22 of Major League Baseball’s 30 teams.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)