Aug 20, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis and the South Philadelphia Taney Dragons took their first loss Wednesday evening in the double-elimination Little League World Series.
Davis struck out six batters and walked just one, but a powerful team from Mountain Ridge Little League of Las Vegas got to her for six hits — including an RBI triple and a two-run home run by Dallan Cave — in an eventual 8-1 defeat in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Davis made it just 2 1/3 innings before reaching her predesignated pitch count of 55. Go ahead and blame it on the old Sports Illustrated jinx.
Las Vegas now advances to the United States Championship game on Saturday. Davis and her Mid-Atlantic squad can get there with a win over Jackie Robinson West on Thursday in the consolation bracket.
Wednesday night’s game drew a record crowd of 34,128 fans to Lamade Stadium in Williamsport. That is higher than the average 2014 attendance for 22 of Major League Baseball’s 30 teams.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)