Aug 20, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
The announcement comes via Dennis Lin at the San Diego Union-Tribune …
Padres reinstate Cameron Maybin from the restricted list, option Jace Peterson to El Paso, DFA Bobby LaFromboise.
— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) August 20, 2014
Maybin was suspended for 25 games without pay on July 23 after failing a test for amphetamines.
He was batting just .247/.286/.368 in 185 plate appearances before the punishment came down and owns a disappointing .248/.307/.365 overall slash line in 1,371 plate appearances since joining San Diego in 2011.
The 27-year-old center fielder is owed a $7 million salary next season and an $8 million salary in 2016.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)