Aug 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire was ejected from Monday night’s game after arguing about a foul tip strike three to Joe Mauer that he did not believe was a foul tip strike three. Rather, he believed — as did Mauer — that the ball hit the dirt before bouncing up into the catcher’s glove.
Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press reports that the ejection didn’t come from any magic words being used by Gardenhire. But merely because he pointed out to the umpire that there was an obvious way to check to see if, indeed, the call was correct. He told the umpire, crew chief Fieldin Culbreth, to “check the ball” to see if it had dirt on it:
“‘Check the ball’ should not get you thrown out. There’s other things I’ve said, believe me, that deserve a pitch, but not that one. Everybody has a right to ask that — except me . . . We play with a baseball. You should look at the thing. They throw every ball out nowadays that has a mark on it — every ball. So why not check that one and see if it has a mark on it?”
Eh. Here’s the replay. Looks to me that the catcher may have trapped it, but it’s hard to tell. But given the way he caught it — kind of a snow-cone thing, in which it came down and hit the dirt while in his glove — “checking the ball” may actually have been misleading here. Pretty inconclusive and a close call either way.
Still: unless Gardenhire’s tone on “check the ball” was super jackwagony, I’m not sure why that warrants an ejection.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)