Aug 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire was ejected from Monday night’s game after arguing about a foul tip strike three to Joe Mauer that he did not believe was a foul tip strike three. Rather, he believed — as did Mauer — that the ball hit the dirt before bouncing up into the catcher’s glove.
Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press reports that the ejection didn’t come from any magic words being used by Gardenhire. But merely because he pointed out to the umpire that there was an obvious way to check to see if, indeed, the call was correct. He told the umpire, crew chief Fieldin Culbreth, to “check the ball” to see if it had dirt on it:
“‘Check the ball’ should not get you thrown out. There’s other things I’ve said, believe me, that deserve a pitch, but not that one. Everybody has a right to ask that — except me . . . We play with a baseball. You should look at the thing. They throw every ball out nowadays that has a mark on it — every ball. So why not check that one and see if it has a mark on it?”
Eh. Here’s the replay. Looks to me that the catcher may have trapped it, but it’s hard to tell. But given the way he caught it — kind of a snow-cone thing, in which it came down and hit the dirt while in his glove — “checking the ball” may actually have been misleading here. Pretty inconclusive and a close call either way.
Still: unless Gardenhire’s tone on “check the ball” was super jackwagony, I’m not sure why that warrants an ejection.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)