Aug 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire was ejected from Monday night’s game after arguing about a foul tip strike three to Joe Mauer that he did not believe was a foul tip strike three. Rather, he believed — as did Mauer — that the ball hit the dirt before bouncing up into the catcher’s glove.
Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press reports that the ejection didn’t come from any magic words being used by Gardenhire. But merely because he pointed out to the umpire that there was an obvious way to check to see if, indeed, the call was correct. He told the umpire, crew chief Fieldin Culbreth, to “check the ball” to see if it had dirt on it:
“‘Check the ball’ should not get you thrown out. There’s other things I’ve said, believe me, that deserve a pitch, but not that one. Everybody has a right to ask that — except me . . . We play with a baseball. You should look at the thing. They throw every ball out nowadays that has a mark on it — every ball. So why not check that one and see if it has a mark on it?”
Eh. Here’s the replay. Looks to me that the catcher may have trapped it, but it’s hard to tell. But given the way he caught it — kind of a snow-cone thing, in which it came down and hit the dirt while in his glove — “checking the ball” may actually have been misleading here. Pretty inconclusive and a close call either way.
Still: unless Gardenhire’s tone on “check the ball” was super jackwagony, I’m not sure why that warrants an ejection.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)