Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
For several years the MLB and the MLBPA has promoted an All-Star Series in which MLB players tour Japan in November. It has taken on various forms and is a modern day version of old barnstorming series in Japan that have gone on for over a century. Today they announced this year’s version, along with some of the big names taking part:
Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association jointly announced today that MLB All-Stars Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners, Adam Jones of the Baltimore Orioles, Yasiel Puig of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Albert Pujols of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim will be among the group of accomplished Major Leaguers who will travel to Japan this November to play a five-game series against “Samurai Japan” (Japan’s National Team) in “All-Star Series 2014.” The MLB All-Stars will be led by Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington, who led the Rangers to back-to-back American League pennants in 2010 and 2011.
There will be three official games, played in Osaka’s Kyocera Dome, Tokyo’s Tokyo Dome and Sapporo’s Sapporo Dome. There will also be two exhibition games, with one in Osaka’s Koshien Stadium and the other in Okinawa’s Okinawa Cellular Stadium.
So, as of November, Yasiel Puig will have disrespected the game in two different hemispheres. Cool.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 8
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 98
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)