Aug 21, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres closer Joaquin Benoit hasn’t appeared in a game since last Wednesday due to soreness in his throwing shoulder, but Dennis Lin of UT-San Diego reports that he’s expected to avoid the disabled list.
Benoit had no issues after he threw long toss and a five-minute bullpen session today at Dodger Stadium. Padres manager Bud Black believes he could be able to return to action tomorrow or Saturday.
Benoit, who inherited the closer role after the Huston Street trade, has compiled a 1.64 ERA, seven saves, and a 59/14 K/BB ratio over 49 1/3 innings this season.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 52
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 21
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29