Aug 21, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres closer Joaquin Benoit hasn’t appeared in a game since last Wednesday due to soreness in his throwing shoulder, but Dennis Lin of UT-San Diego reports that he’s expected to avoid the disabled list.
Benoit had no issues after he threw long toss and a five-minute bullpen session today at Dodger Stadium. Padres manager Bud Black believes he could be able to return to action tomorrow or Saturday.
Benoit, who inherited the closer role after the Huston Street trade, has compiled a 1.64 ERA, seven saves, and a 59/14 K/BB ratio over 49 1/3 innings this season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)