Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Verlander, who left his August 11 start after one ugly inning and revealed afterward that he’s been dealing with shoulder problems for much of the season, has been playing catch and long-tossing to test the injury.
David Adler of MLB.com reports that the Tigers training staff has diagnosed Verlander with “shoulder capsulitis, biceps tendinosis, and some tendinitis” in his inflamed shoulder. And all of that has been characterized by both Verlander and the team as natural “wear and tear” for a pitcher with as much mileage on his arm as the 31-year-old former MVP and Cy Young winner.
Saturday we’ll find out if 12 days off does the trick. Dating back to mid-May he has a 5.85 ERA in 17 starts, including an ERA higher than 4.50 in May, June, July, and August.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)