Aug 21, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Allen Craig is off the disabled list and back in the Red Sox’s lineup tonight as the starting designated hitter after missing three weeks with a foot injury.
Acquired from the Cardinals on July 31 as part of the John Lackey trade, Craig tweaked his troublesome foot in his first game for the Red Sox. He hasn’t been the same since suffering a Lisfranc fracture to his left foot late last season, but his recent injury is said to be unrelated.
Craig played two games at Triple-A on a minor-league rehab assignment, collecting a single in five at-bats. He hit a combined .312 with an .863 OPS in 328 games for the Cardinals from 2011 to 2013, but Craig’s production has plummeted to a .237 batting average and .639 OPS in 98 total games this season.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)