Aug 21, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Allen Craig is off the disabled list and back in the Red Sox’s lineup tonight as the starting designated hitter after missing three weeks with a foot injury.
Acquired from the Cardinals on July 31 as part of the John Lackey trade, Craig tweaked his troublesome foot in his first game for the Red Sox. He hasn’t been the same since suffering a Lisfranc fracture to his left foot late last season, but his recent injury is said to be unrelated.
Craig played two games at Triple-A on a minor-league rehab assignment, collecting a single in five at-bats. He hit a combined .312 with an .863 OPS in 328 games for the Cardinals from 2011 to 2013, but Craig’s production has plummeted to a .237 batting average and .639 OPS in 98 total games this season.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)