Aug 21, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that Cuban free agent outfielder Rusney Castillo was “moving quickly” toward signing with a team and now Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that the Red Sox and Tigers “appear to be the front-runners.” He’s expected to make a decision no later than the weekend.
Castillo, 27, had a showcase late last month which was attended by representatives from 28 MLB teams. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported this morning that he has since had private workouts with eight teams, including the Red Sox, Tigers, Cubs, Yankees, Phillies, Giants, Mariners, and Reds.
Known for his plus-speed, Castillo is expected to command a contract north of Yasiel Puig‘s $42 million deal with the Dodgers. It’s believed that he could make his way to the major leagues as soon as this season depending on where he ends up.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 7
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)