Aug 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Back in July Tigers pitcher Evan Reed — currently with the Toledo Mud Hens — was charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct arising out of an alleged incident at the Motor City Casino Hotel in Detroit back in March. Today the charges have been dismissed after prosecutors failed to convince the judge presiding over the case that there was probable cause a crime was committed:
[Judge] King said he had doubts about the credibility of the 45-year-old woman who claimed Reed sexually assaulted her in a sixth-floor hotel room at Motor City Casino after the two met at a bar in Royal Oak. He said prosecutors failed to meet the burden of probable cause on accusations that Reed forced or coerced her into two sexual acts while she was physically or mentally incapacitated . . . He said there was no rape kit evidence or evidence of semen from the scene presented by prosecutors.
He also noted that the accuser’s testimony was contradicted in places by text messages she sent the night of the alleged assault.
If the case had gone to trial, Reed could have faced a sentence of 15 years. Prosecutors have the opportunity to appeal the finding of no probable cause, but they have not decided if they will or not.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)