Aug 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Back in July Tigers pitcher Evan Reed — currently with the Toledo Mud Hens — was charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct arising out of an alleged incident at the Motor City Casino Hotel in Detroit back in March. Today the charges have been dismissed after prosecutors failed to convince the judge presiding over the case that there was probable cause a crime was committed:
[Judge] King said he had doubts about the credibility of the 45-year-old woman who claimed Reed sexually assaulted her in a sixth-floor hotel room at Motor City Casino after the two met at a bar in Royal Oak. He said prosecutors failed to meet the burden of probable cause on accusations that Reed forced or coerced her into two sexual acts while she was physically or mentally incapacitated . . . He said there was no rape kit evidence or evidence of semen from the scene presented by prosecutors.
He also noted that the accuser’s testimony was contradicted in places by text messages she sent the night of the alleged assault.
If the case had gone to trial, Reed could have faced a sentence of 15 years. Prosecutors have the opportunity to appeal the finding of no probable cause, but they have not decided if they will or not.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)