Aug 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Back in July Tigers pitcher Evan Reed — currently with the Toledo Mud Hens — was charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct arising out of an alleged incident at the Motor City Casino Hotel in Detroit back in March. Today the charges have been dismissed after prosecutors failed to convince the judge presiding over the case that there was probable cause a crime was committed:
[Judge] King said he had doubts about the credibility of the 45-year-old woman who claimed Reed sexually assaulted her in a sixth-floor hotel room at Motor City Casino after the two met at a bar in Royal Oak. He said prosecutors failed to meet the burden of probable cause on accusations that Reed forced or coerced her into two sexual acts while she was physically or mentally incapacitated . . . He said there was no rape kit evidence or evidence of semen from the scene presented by prosecutors.
He also noted that the accuser’s testimony was contradicted in places by text messages she sent the night of the alleged assault.
If the case had gone to trial, Reed could have faced a sentence of 15 years. Prosecutors have the opportunity to appeal the finding of no probable cause, but they have not decided if they will or not.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)