Aug 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
While Major League Baseball officially faulted the Cubs grounds crew for how the tarp was wound before the game the other night, the Cubs, not surprisingly, have their guys’ backs. Paul Sullivan of the Tribune reports the comments of the team spokesman:
“We have the best ground crew in the business. These guys make a living exercising precision, and there should be no thought or any question these guys fumbled the ball. They step up to the plate and do this with a guy who’s led our crew for decades. Even after last night’s game, I would put my money on Roger Baird every time.”
Additional comments from the team explain that the crew was short-staffed as well, and why that was. I presume the staffing policy is something the team will quietly reevaluate.
I think that’s good form from the team. While I was critical of the grounds crew and stand by that criticism — and while Major League Baseball was critical as well — replaying the game makes up for the damage done. And it’d be silly to expect the team to beat on its own guys, even if the resumption of the game — which the Cubs wanted to happen as well — had to, by the rules, be premised on the crew’s mistakes.
So play ball in Wrigley. And hope for clear skies.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)