Aug 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
While Major League Baseball officially faulted the Cubs grounds crew for how the tarp was wound before the game the other night, the Cubs, not surprisingly, have their guys’ backs. Paul Sullivan of the Tribune reports the comments of the team spokesman:
“We have the best ground crew in the business. These guys make a living exercising precision, and there should be no thought or any question these guys fumbled the ball. They step up to the plate and do this with a guy who’s led our crew for decades. Even after last night’s game, I would put my money on Roger Baird every time.”
Additional comments from the team explain that the crew was short-staffed as well, and why that was. I presume the staffing policy is something the team will quietly reevaluate.
I think that’s good form from the team. While I was critical of the grounds crew and stand by that criticism — and while Major League Baseball was critical as well — replaying the game makes up for the damage done. And it’d be silly to expect the team to beat on its own guys, even if the resumption of the game — which the Cubs wanted to happen as well — had to, by the rules, be premised on the crew’s mistakes.
So play ball in Wrigley. And hope for clear skies.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)