Aug 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
While Major League Baseball officially faulted the Cubs grounds crew for how the tarp was wound before the game the other night, the Cubs, not surprisingly, have their guys’ backs. Paul Sullivan of the Tribune reports the comments of the team spokesman:
“We have the best ground crew in the business. These guys make a living exercising precision, and there should be no thought or any question these guys fumbled the ball. They step up to the plate and do this with a guy who’s led our crew for decades. Even after last night’s game, I would put my money on Roger Baird every time.”
Additional comments from the team explain that the crew was short-staffed as well, and why that was. I presume the staffing policy is something the team will quietly reevaluate.
I think that’s good form from the team. While I was critical of the grounds crew and stand by that criticism — and while Major League Baseball was critical as well — replaying the game makes up for the damage done. And it’d be silly to expect the team to beat on its own guys, even if the resumption of the game — which the Cubs wanted to happen as well — had to, by the rules, be premised on the crew’s mistakes.
So play ball in Wrigley. And hope for clear skies.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 15
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 73
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)