Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Here’s hoping Nationals manager Matt Williams has been practicing his Babe Ruth home run trot, because he has a promise to fulfill.
The Nationals extended their winning streak to 10 games this evening with a 1-0 walk-off victory over the Diamondbacks in Nationals Park. Amazingly, it was their fifth walk-off victory in their last six games. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Nationals are the first team to have five walk-offs wins in six games since the 1986 Astros.
This one ended in odd fashion. Behind strong outings from Gio Gonzalez and Wade Miley, the game went into the bottom of the ninth inning scoreless before Denard Span singled off Oliver Perez with one out. Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson then turned to Evan Marshall to face Anthony Rendon. Span stole second base during the at-bat before Rendon hit a grounder to third baseman Jordan Pacheco, who made a wild throw to first base which skipped out of play and allowed the winning run to score. It seems like everything is bouncing the Nationals’ way right now.
The 10-game winning streak matches the franchise record, which was set in the team’s first season in D.C. in 2005. The Nationals now sit 20 games over .500 at 73-53, 7 1/2 games in front of the second-place Braves in the National League East.
Williams recently said that he would do his famous Babe Ruth impersonation if the Nationals won 10 straight and he told reporters after today’s game that he’s prepared to deliver.
Please let there be video. The internet needs this.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)