Aug 21, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman has been on the disabled list for a month with a hamstring injury and when asked yesterday when the third baseman is expected to return Nationals manager Matt Williams replied “sometime in September.”
Williams also told Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com:
When? I don’t know, but sometime in September. I don’t think anything would happen until after [September 1] because he still hasn’t gone the full gamut of tests. And then he would have to have some time to play. The last thing we want is for him to go to early and really do something bad to it. So we have to be sure when he comes back that he’s ready, that there are no limitations, and he can go score from first and play defense and do all the things that he does really well.
There’s only a week or so remaining in the minor-league season, so if Zimmerman wants to go on a rehab assignment before coming off the disabled list he’s running out of time. Williams suggested that simulated games could be an option, so clearly the Nationals aren’t going to rush him back.
Zimmerman has been limited to just 52 games this season due to an assortment of injuries, including his chronic shoulder problems, but when healthy enough to be in the lineup–at third base or in left field–he has hit his usual .282 with an .802 OPS.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)