Aug 21, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Gomes was hit in the mask in the bottom of the fifth inning by a ball that deflected off the arm of Kurt Suzuki on a hit-by-pitch. You can watch the play here. He remained in the game initially before being replaced behind the plate in the sixth. Indians manager Terry Francona said they aren’t ready to call it a concussion, but Gomes will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
“The doctor didn’t want to say he had a concussion,” Francona said after the loss. “But we obviously need to keep an eye on him. We’ll get him examined in the morning and keep an eye on him tonight. He said he’s already feeling a lot better. Obviously, we need to keep an eye on him.”
Gomes has enjoyed an excellent season as Cleveland’s regular catcher, batting .284 with 17 home runs, 53 RBI, and an .800 OPS over 109 games.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)