Aug 21, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Gomes was hit in the mask in the bottom of the fifth inning by a ball that deflected off the arm of Kurt Suzuki on a hit-by-pitch. You can watch the play here. He remained in the game initially before being replaced behind the plate in the sixth. Indians manager Terry Francona said they aren’t ready to call it a concussion, but Gomes will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
“The doctor didn’t want to say he had a concussion,” Francona said after the loss. “But we obviously need to keep an eye on him. We’ll get him examined in the morning and keep an eye on him tonight. He said he’s already feeling a lot better. Obviously, we need to keep an eye on him.”
Gomes has enjoyed an excellent season as Cleveland’s regular catcher, batting .284 with 17 home runs, 53 RBI, and an .800 OPS over 109 games.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)