Aug 21, 2014, 6:57 PM EST
Gomes was hit in the mask in the bottom of the fifth inning by a ball that deflected off the arm of Kurt Suzuki on a hit-by-pitch. You can watch the play here. He remained in the game initially before being replaced behind the plate in the sixth. Indians manager Terry Francona said they aren’t ready to call it a concussion, but Gomes will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
“The doctor didn’t want to say he had a concussion,” Francona said after the loss. “But we obviously need to keep an eye on him. We’ll get him examined in the morning and keep an eye on him tonight. He said he’s already feeling a lot better. Obviously, we need to keep an eye on him.”
Gomes has enjoyed an excellent season as Cleveland’s regular catcher, batting .284 with 17 home runs, 53 RBI, and an .800 OPS over 109 games.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 0
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)