Aug 21, 2014, 6:57 PM EST
Gomes was hit in the mask in the bottom of the fifth inning by a ball that deflected off the arm of Kurt Suzuki on a hit-by-pitch. You can watch the play here. He remained in the game initially before being replaced behind the plate in the sixth. Indians manager Terry Francona said they aren’t ready to call it a concussion, but Gomes will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
“The doctor didn’t want to say he had a concussion,” Francona said after the loss. “But we obviously need to keep an eye on him. We’ll get him examined in the morning and keep an eye on him tonight. He said he’s already feeling a lot better. Obviously, we need to keep an eye on him.”
Gomes has enjoyed an excellent season as Cleveland’s regular catcher, batting .284 with 17 home runs, 53 RBI, and an .800 OPS over 109 games.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27