Aug 22, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
We’ve been following the derby to sign Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo. Now it looks like the Red Sox have won the derby:
— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) August 22, 2014
The deal would be a record for an amateur free agent, which is a coup for Roc Nation, Jay Z’s agency. That’s a lot more than Yasiel Puig got ($42 million), and Puig was considered Castillo’s closest comp. Of course, almost as soon as Puig hit the big leagues everyone realized that the Dodgers got a bargain. And people have realized that Jose Abreu was underestimated as well. Elite Cuban players are more big league ready than a lot of experts thought.
A good question is what the Sox will do with Castillo. He’s a center fielder and is said to have plus speed. The Red Sox, however, have been grooming Jackie Bradley, Jr. to take over center. And have taught the position to Mookie Betts as well. They also have Allen Craig, Yoenis Cespedes and Daniel Nava hanging around in the corners. You have to assume that the Sox are going to trade one of those guys. Maybe two. I suppose it depends on how much faith they have in Castillo.
But $72 million suggests an awful lot of faith.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)