Aug 22, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
We’ve been following the derby to sign Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo. Now it looks like the Red Sox have won the derby:
— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) August 22, 2014
The deal would be a record for an amateur free agent, which is a coup for Roc Nation, Jay Z’s agency. That’s a lot more than Yasiel Puig got ($42 million), and Puig was considered Castillo’s closest comp. Of course, almost as soon as Puig hit the big leagues everyone realized that the Dodgers got a bargain. And people have realized that Jose Abreu was underestimated as well. Elite Cuban players are more big league ready than a lot of experts thought.
A good question is what the Sox will do with Castillo. He’s a center fielder and is said to have plus speed. The Red Sox, however, have been grooming Jackie Bradley, Jr. to take over center. And have taught the position to Mookie Betts as well. They also have Allen Craig, Yoenis Cespedes and Daniel Nava hanging around in the corners. You have to assume that the Sox are going to trade one of those guys. Maybe two. I suppose it depends on how much faith they have in Castillo.
But $72 million suggests an awful lot of faith.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)