Denard Span’s alter ego — “Span” — stole the base that setup the Nats’ walkoff win

Aug 22, 2014, 8:23 AM EST

Stefan

The Nationals’ walkoff win last night was set up by Denard Span stealing second in a 0-0 game in the bottom of the ninth. After the game, Span explained that his decision to run was really made by his alter ego. Yes, his brave alter ego. He explained it all to CSNWashington.com’s Chase Hughes:

“Denard is the guy that is passive, the guy that is afraid to make a mistake,” Span said. “Then he says ‘Span is the guy that is a playmaker. Span is the smooth guy, the guy that would talk to a girl.’ It’s like the Urkel and the Stefan [from Family Matters]. I just had to walk off and kind of hype myself up for a second. And then I came back to first and was: ‘let’s go.’” -

So I guess the job now is to figure out how to go all Bruce Banner with this and have “Span” be out all nine innings, while Denard can just be around before and after the game.

1. karlkolchak - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Thank goodness “Span” has been in the Nats’ lineup for much of this year, because “Denard” was an infuriating out machine at the top of the order last season. That said, I’m happy he’s put it all together as he seems like a good guy.

2. succulentnipples - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Big Johnathon Football.

• Hard On For Harden - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:40 AM

If you’re going to troll, at least spell the dude’s name right.

3. Hard On For Harden - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I always thought that Stefan character was equally lame if not more lame than Urkel. At least Urkel had his quirks, but what the hell do I know.

4. dadynational - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Denard Span is D-Sizzle! We got Natitude!

5. dadynational - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Denard Span is D-Sizzle! We got Natitude!

6. bisonaudit - Aug 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I think Span should keep picking his spots. Too, much Span equals Harper-like uber agressive out making on the bases. You need the ying and the yang and Bryce will find the balance, too.

• karlkolchak - Aug 22, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Check your facts–Span has 27 steals this year while having been caught only 5 times (a .844 success rate).

• bisonaudit - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Ummm, yeah. I said I like what he’s doing. He’s picking his spots well.

7. sumerduckman - Aug 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I thought the only way he was able to successfully pull that off was the all-knowing, all-seeing presence of the Jason Werth garden gnome they had parked on top of the dugout water cooler.

Let’s see how that prescient piece of plastic fares with Tim Hudson on the mound tonight.

• karlkolchak - Aug 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Ugh. Hudson has always eaten the Nats alive. On the other hand, they’ve had good success against Lincecom, who pitches tomorrow.

• NatsLady - Aug 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Hudson isn’t what he used to be. There’s a chance.

8. southcapitolstreet - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Span > Tony Plush

9. scatterbrian - Aug 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Seriously? This dude’s trying way too hard.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2805)
  2. W. Myers (2565)
  3. D. Ross (2239)
  4. C. McGehee (2145)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1997)
  1. J. Shields (1907)