Aug 22, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Per the Angels’ Twitter, starter Garrett Richards underwent surgery to repair his left knee. As reported previously, the timetable for his return is six to nine months, which puts him on track to return either before the start of the regular season or before the All-Star break.
Richards suffered a torn patellar tendon in his left knee covering first base in the second inning of Wednesday’s start in Boston against the Red Sox. The 26-year-old right-hander ends his season with a 13-4 record, a 2.61 ERA, and a 164/51 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings across 26 starts.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)