Aug 22, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Per the Angels’ Twitter, starter Garrett Richards underwent surgery to repair his left knee. As reported previously, the timetable for his return is six to nine months, which puts him on track to return either before the start of the regular season or before the All-Star break.
Richards suffered a torn patellar tendon in his left knee covering first base in the second inning of Wednesday’s start in Boston against the Red Sox. The 26-year-old right-hander ends his season with a 13-4 record, a 2.61 ERA, and a 164/51 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings across 26 starts.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)