Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Buster Posey‘s numbers this season are significantly better when he starts at first base than when he starts at catcher, but that’s not enough for the Giants to move him out from behind home plate just yet, as CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly writes. Posey has posted a .961 OPS in 22 games as a first baseman and a .749 OPS in 88 games as a catcher.
Posey doesn’t seem interested in a move, either, as he was apparently in a squat in manager Bruce Bochy’s office when he was asked if he felt good enough to catch Friday night in Washington against the Nationals, a day after catching 14 innings at Wrigley Field.
Baggarly clarifies in the article that, even though the Giants could potentially lose third baseman Pablo Sandoval to free agency, Posey would only move to first base, not to third base. Bochy expounded:
“It’s easier on the body playing first base,” Bochy said. “There’s a lot of activity at first base and you can’t drift mentally, but it is easier. … It makes sense that he probably should hit a little bit more.”
As for third base, Bochy said, “His hands, his arm, everything would work. But it would take a lot of work.”
Posey, 27, enters tonight’s game against the Nationals with an OPS about 50 points below that of last year, slashing .284/.345/.438 with 14 home runs and 59 RBI. He is in the second year of a nine-year, $167 million extension signed with the Giants in March 2013.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)