Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Buster Posey‘s numbers this season are significantly better when he starts at first base than when he starts at catcher, but that’s not enough for the Giants to move him out from behind home plate just yet, as CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly writes. Posey has posted a .961 OPS in 22 games as a first baseman and a .749 OPS in 88 games as a catcher.
Posey doesn’t seem interested in a move, either, as he was apparently in a squat in manager Bruce Bochy’s office when he was asked if he felt good enough to catch Friday night in Washington against the Nationals, a day after catching 14 innings at Wrigley Field.
Baggarly clarifies in the article that, even though the Giants could potentially lose third baseman Pablo Sandoval to free agency, Posey would only move to first base, not to third base. Bochy expounded:
“It’s easier on the body playing first base,” Bochy said. “There’s a lot of activity at first base and you can’t drift mentally, but it is easier. … It makes sense that he probably should hit a little bit more.”
As for third base, Bochy said, “His hands, his arm, everything would work. But it would take a lot of work.”
Posey, 27, enters tonight’s game against the Nationals with an OPS about 50 points below that of last year, slashing .284/.345/.438 with 14 home runs and 59 RBI. He is in the second year of a nine-year, $167 million extension signed with the Giants in March 2013.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)